Hi all,

This dotted line (highlighted yellow) has been appearing on a few projects that I am working on. I can't seem to get rid of it or even click it! Not sure if it is part of the roof but it is not the depth of the eave so really not sure what it is showing! It seems to follow the roof line but not always...your help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Rebecca.

image.png

image.png

Running Chief Architect Premier X10

Those dashed lines are on a layer called "Ceiling Break Lines". The cannot be selected or deleted. Their purpose is to indicate that a roof plane underside is intruding into your flat ceiling (Like Eric indicated above in his post). To handle this you draw your roof planes at the proper plate height (you do this by having the "Ceiling Height" setting correct in each Room Specification Dialog and especially in "Edit - Default Settings - Rooms - Ceiling Height". How this often happens is when you build roofs and then alter a ceiling height in a Room Dialog box. Unless you have "Auto Rebuild Roofs ON", roof planes do not update or respond to Room Dialog Box setting changes after they are first built, so if you raise a ceiling height without rebuilding roofs, you get "Ceiling Break Lines" as a result.

DJP

• Like 1

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    keldhaigh
    Newest Member
    keldhaigh

• By LCrosno
      I'm trying to create a roof similar to the photo. I can do the barrel alone, but can't figure out how to flatten the overhangs as show. Thanks!

Using Chief Architect Premier X10

• By ilastu
      I successfully imported the floor plan for a house from a dwg file, however I have not found a way to convert the roof drawing into 3D. Is there a way to do that? I am using the X11 version.
    • By SpeleoWorm
      I have created a number of different wall types to show proper dimensions (i.e. when one side of the wall is 5/8" Type X and the other side is 1/2" drywall) as well as to calculate the correct material counts and to show the proper information in the schedules.  Unfortunately doing that seems to have a down side...it changes the framing as if they were separate walls instead of the same wall with different materials on them.  I have seen the following side effects (colors refer to screenshots below):

(Green Arrow) In unfinished rooms such as an attic storage space which only has a subfloor but no drywall, the walls get pushed up into the rafters by what appears to be 3". (Red Arrows) The floor joists and top/bottom plates are cut in the middle when they should be continuous pieces of wood.  In addition, you can see that the walls which are produced are not boxed at the end...the top & bottom plates stick out at the end. (Purple Arrow) Parts of the gable wall are not created.  In this case you could argue that it is not needed, but if a builder makes a wall he is not going to leave a hole in it. (Blue Arrows) An extra stud is added to a room that has no drywall, and therefore doesn't need nailer studs.  In addition, it looks like the other stud needed as a nailer for the finished room in the middle is missing from the plan view of the framing (see 2nd screenshot).  
      Am I doing this all wrong (creating separate wall types), or is there a way to use them and fix (any of) the issues I mentioned?

Thanks in advance for any help!

PS - I am a little surprised that the wall finish is not part of the room settings (like the floor & ceiling already are)...that would allow you to have continuous walls and still have different materials in each room (i.e. greenboard in the bath, 5/8" type X in a garage, unfinished in an attic, etc.

Example of Wall Issue.plan
    • By StaceyRamsey1
      Hi.
      I have a problem that I am hoping to get some feedback on Re: soffits. I believe to be a X11 issue.  In my plan, i created open rafters first on attic level with no finished ceiling, the soffits would "glow" with emission. I am a part of Chief Tutor.com so I sent .plan to him to get feedback.  He took the file, put the soffit rafters on the first level and it fixed the problem on his computer.  However, when i did what he instructed on my own software, the soffits would still glow in physically based render with "improve lighting quality" checked, and they are downright black when the improve lighting is not checked.  He informed me it was  likely an X11 issue because he was able to resolve in the newest version.  Is there a work around I can do for this?   I am contracted out through a small construction company and they may not be upgrading to new version; So a work around would be ideal.  Thank you.  See attached files for images of problem.

• By ChristinoDesign
      We're trying to figure out how to change the angle of pendent lights on vaulted ceilings. When we create the ceiling angle, the lights follow and aren't angled properly. How do we change the lights so they go vertical rather than at a tilt?