Sign in to follow this  
JRJones

Large project, 3D measuring tool advice needed

HELP!  Trying to determine the best system to auto-input interior measurements into my newly purchased Chief X9 (IBS2018) software loaded onto my MacBook Pro or iPad.  Looking around it appears the Leica 910 Pro system may work, but not seeing where others are using it with Apple products.  I have a large 10,000+ house that I want to produce an as-built drawing in March2018.  It has many areas with high ceilings and lofts with complex rooflines.  I'd love to invest in the correct instrumentation to speed up data input into Chief Arch. X9.  I'd also be willing to switch to Windows system if necessary.  Also wondering if there are tripod mounted 3D auto-scanning systems that work with Chief. X9.  Does Chief offer training with these systems that go beyond Room Planner?

Thanks,  Jim Jones

MacBook Pro w/OS10.13.3 Mid 2015

Chief X9 upgradable to X10 once beta is done.

Jim:

I doubt if CA offers training on anything besides Room Planner

the Leica 910 is fairly expensive - you may be able to get by with a much cheaper unit

you could hire a firm to use point cloud dimensioning but not sure it would be able to import into Chief "properly"

it might be worth hiring someone to do the "big stuff"

then use a Leica that costs $100-$200 to do the rest yourself

Lew

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Oilersfan20
    Newest Member
    Oilersfan20

• By KTransue
      Am I the only one having problems getting Function Keys to work on a MacBook Pro (with the Touch Bar feature)?  They didn't work on my 2016 model, and still don't work on my new 2018 model.  Function Keys do perform their expected behaviors as assigned by the operating system, but not as "Hotkeys" assigned within Chief Architect.  I am concluding that CA has not tested or remedied Function Key behaviors on Mac notebooks newer than 2015, and that they must not be supported on these newer Macs.  Am I wrong about this?  Please tell me I'm wrong about this...
    • By Bouquet
      Has anyone used CA's Room Planner on an iPad Pro WITH the Apple Pencil?  Will the pencil act just like my finger?  I'm about to upgrade my old iPad and this would be super useful. 
    • By Doug-o
      What is the consensus with compatibility between air pad 2, room planner and Leica, and if so which Leica?  thanks 
    • By Athenian_CAD
      Stumbled across this looking for a different article on the Chief Architect site and thought it could help people here.

KB-02905: Using a Bluetooth Measuring Device with Room Planner
      https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02905/
    • By Redchief
      I have been waiting for a long time for Chief Architect to come out with their mobile version.  When I read that I could connect a Leica Disto via bluetooth, I knew I could cut my project time.  I carefully read the instructions on the page relating to which devices work with which operating systems and ordered a new Leica Disto.  When it arrived, I could not connect to my Samsung Tab 3.  Went out and bought a brand new Tab.  Could not connect the Disto.  Called tech support, "it doesn't work with Marshmallow, our developers are working on it."  So, I returned the Tab and spent four days trying to find a new Tab that had Lollipop on it.  Finally found it, received it and.....cannot connect the Disto.  I can see it, but cannot click on it to pair.  I now find that this is documented on the Forum.  Why, oh why did the tech support guy tell me it would work?  I am so frustrated with this, including the fact that I had to pay twice for the room planner app since I couldn't migrate it over to my new tab.

In my view, this is unacceptable for a large software firm.  Chief Architect, light a fire under your develops or drop the page that claims that we can use a Disto with Room Planner.  Irate!