Cabinet insides different than outsides

MarkMc

NOTE- Michael brought up something and it appears that these symbols can be changed to something a little simpler to handle SO wait until new ones are posted. I'll get to it at some point though not a big priority right now. Course you can take the information in this thread and make/fix your own.

Some folks requested having different inside finish than outside finish on cabinets. I completely agree, have asked in the past. I had worked out a hack back in X9 but it was a real PIA.

X10 provides a new method that is better. Still not as good as if we could just check it off in a DBX but betternasharpstick...

So here is a plan- and a library. A couple of the cabinets in the plan were done for someone over in QA, the one all the way to the right I just dropped in.

On that cabinet note that the drawerbox is not only a different material but it is actually built the way 95% of those sold are done nowadays.

I think all the symbols in here work right but this comes with no guarantees :) if you have a problem open one that does work and see what the settings-ALL of the symbol settings are.

The only downside with these is if that you need a different one for every height. There is one on the floor plan and also in the library that I use to make new ones.

Have fun.

Cabinet insides.plan

Cabinet insides.png

More shelves.png

Cabinet insides X10.calibz

Hey Mark, 

I won’t go into this in great detail because I know you understand how to manipulate symbols as well as just about anybody, but in case it hadn’t occurred to you just yet, there’s another capability we have in X10 that you might want to explore...well, 2 sort of:

1.  You can create say a 24”x24”x24” liner with very thin sides much like what you’ve already done and add that to your cabinet via the cabinet dbx as a shelf.  Just set the shelf to be 0” from previous and make it the same height as your opening.  For face frames or “modified” euro style face frames that’s all you need to do.  For true frameless just set set the Y offset to -3/4”.   Biggest downside to this method is that you either have to include the shelves with the symbol or you have to add the shelves manually.

2.  Create the same aforementioned liner except make one for each height.  Set the bounding box height for all of them to something very small...1/16” maybe.  You can then add this to your cabinet as a shelf again.  This time however, just set your shelf to be 1/16” tall. Using this method, you still have the ability to add other shelves via the cabinet dbx.  Biggest downside to this method IMO is simply that you don’t get a sharp line where the shelves meet the cabinet...unless maybe if you use some custom library object for those too, although I haven’t tested that one out yet.  

4 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

1.  You can create say a 24”x24”x24” liner with very thin sides much like what you’ve already done and add that to your cabinet via the cabinet dbx as a shelf.

Guess you didn't open the cabinets-the "inside finish" symbol is added as a shelf. The other shelves added manually but then for most uses just set as default.

Yes there are issues in vector with the shelves at the sides, worse than what you might imagine since the symbol stretch plane needs to be odd to prevent Z fighting that happens on the left side (not the right for some reason?)

Since I would almost only ever do this for a closed door cabinet (comes standard with non matching interior) not an open cabinet (most often has matching interior at upcharge) The issues in vector view at the sides of the shelves don't bother me. If I needed both I'd use one of the ones I posted back in X9 which are cleaner but more complicated to do.

32 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Guess you didn't open the cabinets-the "inside finish" symbol is added as a shelf.

Oh dear, sorry Mark, I actually didn't even notice you attached a plan.  I only saw the library objects.  I was actually wondering because I know you usually include a plan.  It was just kind hiding up there above the picture.  At any rate, I see you're basically doing the same as I described except that I'm not messing with the stretch planes.  I'm just leaving that alone.  The "shelf" will resize as necessary.  The only thing I've manipulated at all is the y offset and even that is only necessary for certain cabinet types.  Also, my vector view problem is actually VERY minor...actually less of an issue than I was thinking.  Maybe it has something to do with your stretch planes or perhaps your symbol has a zero thickness face on that one side?  I don't know, here's what mine looks like though...

5a72cea14e845_Cab1.thumb.jpg.f8e50b06e810d5427e9689b3f8859a0a.jpg5a72cea2d2e70_Cab2.thumb.jpg.143c179fcca1b0b651e103cd776eeda3.jpg5a72cea3840b3_Cab3.thumb.jpg.2775e4fe554fcaeb3dc97ff4fa076c32.jpg5a72cea3eef76_Cab4.thumb.jpg.f1900d5ad102cad585fe8d4c06b3d2af.jpg

6 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

At any rate, I see you're basically doing the same as I described except that I'm not messing with the stretch planes.  I'm just leaving that alone.  The "shelf" will resize as necessary.  The only thing I've manipulated at all is the y offset and even that is only necessary for certain cabinet types.  Also, my vector view problem is actually VERY minor...actually less of an issue than I was thinking.  Maybe it has something to do with your stretch planes or perhaps your symbol has a zero thickness face on that one side?  I don't know, here's what mine looks like though...

Well, glad you brought it up anyway.

At first when you indicated you weren't getting Z fighting I thought I might have made these from faces, checked and no.

Just redid one and it now has no problem with Z fighting. I still have to restrict height resize for any. For frameless to go to the front edge I also have to restrict the depth but I may not use that all the time since it's minor and a PIA. Framed, as you show, have no issues with depth thanks to the frame. Similarly edges are not an issue with framed cabinets in vector, only in frameless.

I don't remember if I had adjusted something to eliminate extra lines in vector and that started the Z fighting or if it was a problem to begin with. As I remember it was a problem with most of these inserts and had to offset a bunch of them. OR it may be possible something changed in versions since I first did these and posted them "where we can't talk about" Oct 31. I'd filed some reports about these things though not the inside inserts specifically.

In any case glad that they are simpler now and will adjust mine when I get a chance.

So anyone who grabs these may want to wait for new ones.