katmacphail

making lattice

I have been struggling making lattice out of polyline solids, then adding trim, etc.  Today I made a new wall type that was lattice and I can add corner boards  and position the walls easily under entry stairs and decks.  Thought I would share this, I haven't seen this approach in my searches and I thought it might help someone. 

Katharine

• Upvote 1

Good idea.

What did you use for the lattice?

I used the diagonal lattice that is in the wire and lattice folder from Chief Architect Bonus Catalog.  I changed the dimension to 1/2" and substituted the diagonal lattice for the fir in the default.

Katharine

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    THDesign
    Newest Member
    THDesign

• By SNestor
      Just a simple/quick little video on how to create 2 deck rail wall types on a deck.  It's basic...

• By Doug_N
      Has anyone done a log cabin?  I have a client that I am designing a deck and would like to do a rendering of the proposal.  

Here is a photo of the client's house.  I have to somehow recreate a model in CA.  
      Has this already been done?  I can't seem to find anything close in the catalogues.

• By ModernStyle
      Hey all!

I have searched and searched and searched but couldn't find a relevant thread, so if one exists, I apologize!

I am looking to build a house [or rather, begin the process] within the coming year but I am incredibly bad at conveying ideas in my head. Therefore, I figured it would be best to toy around with Chief Architect to 'learn' what it is that I may want or need, and vice versa, while putting it down on paper. 

I was just curious to see if you guys had any favorite wall setups: exterior materials, insulation, framing, etc. I have access to concrete so I am going to go that route, but I understand that the R Value is very low. Living in the northeast, I'd like something more substantial. My mentality is quality over quantity so I would absolutely like to build something bomb proof (Not literally). I am looking at roughly 10,000 sq ft because...four kids, parents, in-laws and many out-of-town friends/family. Since I have always loved the idea of a catwalk, I understand that the load will be significant, so would you recommend 12" concrete walls for the exterior 1st, 2nd, and 3rd floor? With the exterior finish, insulation, framing and drywall, I can see the walls being THICK! Nor sure if that's what I would want or if it would look off.

Obviously you cannot give me a definitive answer: 'you NEED 12" walls'. But, I guess I am just looking for your opinions on what you have seen in the past (6" vs 8" vs 10" and then framing/insulation). I am looking for longevity, noise isolation, and efficiency.

Thank you!!

Edit, here is the catwalk that I am thinking about: https://imgur.com/a/mcBhRMB
    • By Chamin
      I am wondering if there is a way to create a foundation wall type that will automatically create a pier and curtain foundation wall?  In framed walls we have the option to choose a wall framing material with a specified on center spacing as a wall layer. Is something like that possible to automatically place piers?

• By Chief_Content
      For March, we will be featuring the deck capabilities of Chief Architect.

You'll find on the 3D Library access to 4 new catalogs that are loosely deck related:

Carlisle Wide Plank Floors Deck and Path Lighting Post and Pier Systems Wire and Lattice Material Download the catalogs and try them out on your next deck or exterior project.

Also, check out this month's contest, Deck/Patio Design, and submit your own project to show us your chops and a chance to win some Chief Architect loot.