Stumped On How To Accomplish This Dormer!

Designers_Edge

Go to solution Solved by Designers_Edge,

Before I posted to the Forum, I have watched video tutorials, read the Chief Help Manuals, searched the Chief Architect Help and support site to try to work this out on my own.  I even downloaded some of Chief's sample plans to explore roof and wall settings for solutions.  I'm still struggling.

Here's my problem, I am working on a master bedroom/bath in a 100+ year old home in Portland.  As is the case with these homes, previous owners have done additions over the years.  In this case, definitely not to code.  The bedroom is in the attic, so there is a sloping ceiling plane to kneewalls.  I have successfully gotten everything done in the as-built with one exception:   I am having major problems attempting to put in the not to code shed dormer that houses a tiny sink and toilet.  You will see in the photos that  someone along the way also stuck a shower in the opposite corner of the bedroom and surrounded it with a partition wall made of glass doors.  So, it's a mess.  It will be gutted, but I will still be left with this shed dormer in that wall as part of this remodel due to the budget.  Ceiling Height in bedroom: 96", in bath 84".  The roof pitch is 9 1/2 in 12.  That setting was needed to get the knee wall height at the existing 44 1/2" height.

I am hoping that I haven't jumped the gun on doing all of the interior walls etc and saving this dormer for the last.  That may be my problem.  I guess if that's the case, perhaps I can add a 3rd floor and but I will still need to follow someone's helpful suggestion on accomplishing this dormer in the knee wall. 

I have attached the jpegs.  I attempted to upload the plan as a DWG, but was not permitted to do so.

Thanks so much for your help with this.  Sharon

post-1026-0-76400500-1405884575_thumb.jpg

post-1026-0-03298400-1405884599_thumb.jpg

post-1026-0-86267600-1405884619_thumb.jpg

post-1026-0-39492300-1405884646_thumb.jpg

post-1026-0-53099000-1405884665_thumb.jpg

post-1026-0-92241800-1405884709_thumb.jpg

post-1026-0-99600500-1405884727_thumb.jpg

post-1026-0-50269000-1405884748_thumb.jpg

I appreciate you telling me how to attach a plan file.  This file is now attached.

I'm sorry, but I thought I had explained that the room with the toilet is a shed roof dormer addition and I have not been able to make ONLY this room into a dormer. It has a flat ceiling as shown in the photos and the ceiling height is 7'-0".  

In my Chief Plan it has a knee wall of 44 1/2" high with a severely slanted ceiling.  

Sharon

Master Bedroom_Bath-Chang.zip

Hi Sharon, I understood the situation, but there are a number of factors that were not known. It won't be exact because we don't know the shed roof pitch, rafter sizes, etc.That's why it's best to post the plan. But, I am assuming this is what you want? 

Option one:

Select the roof plane in plan view, once highlighted, use the break tool and break the roof and drag smaller section up (or over depending on what side of the roof you broke). Drag that line up to the edge of the drywall and do the same for the other side. 

When you go to full overview - you should now see that room showing more or less as a normal height without a roof. 

Now go to the plan view and take the roof plane tool. At your exterior wall - start dragging out your roof plane. You can use the existing roof lines as snaps for now. Then stretch the roof plane up to meet the existing roof above the interior wall with the door to the bathroom.

Click on your new roof plane to open up the dbx to modify the pitch which I guessed at 1.5" (image 1)

Click on the same roof and raise the roof as needed.(image 3)

Now click on the interior wall poking out of the roof and change it to an exterior wall. Then go to the roof tab - select "lower wall type if split by butting roof and chose interior wall (image 4)

That is pretty much it. Adjust your roof as needed.

Option Two: 

I can post the file if you need

Sorry, I don't know why the pictures show out of order - I posted them sequentially

post-255-0-09335800-1405901185_thumb.jpg

post-255-0-90115500-1405903720_thumb.jpg

post-255-0-46788400-1405903744_thumb.jpg

post-255-0-10483700-1405903755_thumb.jpg

post-255-0-22864800-1405903768_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Brian,  I want to thank you again for taking the time to work on this for me and help walk me through it.  You have been very detailed and I especially appreciate your thumbnails.  I am going to try it right now on my own so that I will know how to do this.  But, I would appreciate a copy of the file also in case I make a mess of things.  I have to work with roofs so seldom, since I am usually working on design plans for a kitchen or bath remodel that for the most part is pretty straight forward, so I do appreciate you coming to the rescue.

Sharon

Brian, Made a copy of the plan and worked on it.  I wanted to show you the results of following your detailed instructions.  The interior turned out perfectly-see the picture I've attached.

The exterior not so much.  I had difficulty with that "interior" wall on the outside of the dormer. With the shed roof on, I also had problems with the interior sloped ceiling.  So, I deleted the roof and left it at step 1.  Since, my elevations and 3-D's just need to be interior, this will work.

However, I would really like to learn this. If you get a chance to send me back my plan, I would be able to open it and the practice copy I made.  I could then look at where you pulled your ceiling planes, look at the specification dialog boxes etc. and see where I messed up at this first try.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate everything you have done.

Sharon

post-1026-0-34540000-1405909681_thumb.jpg