Decorationarts

GPS Data Import

A simple question, what software is being used by the community to import GPS Terrain Data and prepare for import to Chief Architect? 

Depending on the data type, I import directly into a blank plan to see how it works.

I guess it depends on what kind of GPS data and what you plan to use it for. For example, you take your iPhone and walk around the job site using 'MapMyTracks', then download the file as MapMyTrack123.gpx. Create a new plan and do File-import-import GPS Data and select the file. Import it as Elevation Points and then import it again as a polyline (if you want to see your path). You have the option to adjust the elevation and where to map the origin. Create a terrain perimeter and generate the topo lines. The result looks something like this:

On the other hand, if you are using a Trimble or Topcon GPS field collector, you probably just import the data as xyz elevation points.

Andy

import gps.PNG

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Bren0625
    Newest Member
    Bren0625

• By decorators3
      Hi 

I am building a foundation but in camera view there is a hole under the foundation but no terrain.. ???!!
    • By Steve77
      Hi There,

I am a current chief architect user and have a question in regards to the contour tool and driveway tool.

I have a plan that has a sloping site that I am trying to accurately portray in 3d for both client and the Local Council.
      From the road front the site slopes left to right and from the back to front.
      (I have attached Images shown what I currently have)

My question is there something that I am missing I have also tried in elevation converting/extracting a polyline solid but it doesn't quite work.

I have attached a link to the 3d viewer but can add a plan if need be.   https://3d-viewer.chiefarchitect.com/go?share=503392208525732    
    • By ericepv
      I am trying to create a sunken patio in sloping terrain. The problem I am having is getting a smooth drop in the grade of the lot without distorting the patio which needs to remain flat. The attached sample file shows what I am trying to achieve with the grey circle representing the area where he patio will be. I tried to subtract this area from the terrain perimeter but found that I cannot subtract and object from terrain like I can with a polyline solid. I've been back and fourth with tech support but so far they have not been able to find a solution.
      Any ideas?
      Sunken Patio in Sloping Terrain.zip
    • By MN_JohnH
      How do I fix the terrain under this covered screen porch?

• By fletcher
      Hey there! I'm having an issue with getting my terrain to show underneath my cantilever in my plan. any suggestions on how to fix this? I've searched through the chief tutorials and forums but could not find an answer to this problem.