Meltdown0

Placing "Attic Vents"

I'm playing with a trial of Chief X8 and ran into something I cannot figure out.  I found a bunch of different vents located in the "Core Catalogs; Mechanical, Electrical, Plumbing; Ventilation" section.  I can place gable vents, roof vents, foundation vents, etc. but I cannot place the "Attic Vents" (what Chief calls Louvered Gable Peak Vents). Is this a special process or a limit of the trial?

Something to be aware of is the program does not want to place doors, windows, vents etc where there is a floor or ceiling platform.

This image shows where I've moved the ceiling up high, blocking auto placement of the vent.

Meltdown0 1.jpg

You may override this behavior several ways.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    MattyD-603
    Newest Member
    MattyD-603

• By decorators3
      Hi 

Normally I don't have too many issues with roofs unless they are complicated.  This one looks simple .. but I can't seem to get the straight across area for the roof indent. I can have teh roof with gable but not as it looks in the picture--- as you can see by the one with the X this is what I  end up with and the other is how it should look.. Any suggestions.. I tried adding another floor and reducing the height but then the roof was too high

You're imput is always welcome

Thanks
      Levina

• By StructEng58
      All,

I am working on a house that the customer wants a vaulted gable roof over the great room. I would like to get this gable roof to span the entire great room if I could, but can't seem to get the roof lines to work. I also don't want a very tall gable wall at the great room. See the below images to what I am talking about. I also attached the plan file for reference.

Any suggestions or help will be appreciated.

Thank you in advance,

Chris
      Brundage.zip
    • By stevenyhof
      Hello,
      I have been learning a lot about building porches, both manually and using Railings.
      I used a Room Divider to make the concrete pad. Then a molding profile to add 4" around it. 
      I made a 1x1 sq profile and made my beam, and added in my columns.
      I built several porches trying different roofs, but end up with no gable end wall. 
      I tried added an exterior wall and making it an attic wall, which added some frieze boards, but the wall just covered my porch from concrete up.
      Not finding much on videos for porches.
      Thank you

• By 9atatimer
      I'm using X11 premier on a mac -- I have an exterior garage wall (with a centered garage door) and a gable end -- I'd like to split the attic wall of the gable end into 3 parts -- the central region above the garage door, and the left and right, to have a different material above the garage door.

I have Default Settings > Roof > Auto Rebuild Roof set to Off
      I have Default Settings > Framing > Automatically Build Floor and Ceiling Framing Off on all framing types.
      I have Default Settings > Walls > General Walls > Auto Rebuild Attic Walls set to Off

If I delete the roof and ceiling planes with Build > Roof > Delete [X] and then use the Build > Roof > Build Roof ... dialog to rebuild the roof and attic from scratch -- I leave the Auto Rebuild Roofs set to Off, to be clear -- and then edit the resulting gable roof on the attic layer, I can split it twice to produce the three separate wall sections, but once I change the exterior material on any of the sections, the three wall segments get replaced with a single wall again.  The new wall has my selected material, but that does me no good as I need the distinct secgments.

Anyone know what setting do I need to turn off to maintain the manually edited gable end?  Or is this a mac bug?

Or, barring that, does anyone know what approach will let me give the desired finish detail (attached a pic of a freehand elevation)?

• By srjbb97
      How do I get the siding to show up on in the gable? See attached pictures.. Also, what is the best way to align the eyebrows along the front?

Thanks in advanced..

Chief Architect X9