Syncing User Data Via Dropbox?

Richard_Morrison

Well, I decided to throw caution to the wind and put all of my X6 project files, as well as my User Data files, on Dropbox. This includes, of course, my User Library, archive files, toolbars, hotkeys, etc. So far, so good. It is amazing to make modifications at the office desktop or home laptop and just magicially have them appear at the other location. It's like I'm working on the same machine. Save a detail to the library, for example, and it is at the other location, too. I was a little concerned that the User Library would take a long time to sync due to its size, but it only takes a few minutes. I don't know how Dropbox does it, but I'm a happy guy. Of course, if my entire practice gets corrupted files, I'll be singing a different tune, but  there are backups of backups, so I'm not anticipating a major catastrophe.

I should point out that Dropbox is not deleting files that are over 30 days old. It is just deleting the older versions of files that were CHANGED more than 30 days ago. So even if your archives are in Dropbox, they probably will still be there in mulitiple versions.

You might look into getting "PACKRAT" which is a service offered by drop box that saves all your stuff for eternity....  if I am not mistaken.  I have not had to use it yet,  but it was relatively inexpensive and I guess it gives me another level of comfort.