Sign in to follow this  
JonathanJanacek

Raytrace file size

So I just finished running Raytrace on an exterior of a house.  I normally only run 10-15 passes for most of my pictures and notice the file size is never that big.  

So, just to see how "clear" the image could get, I set it to run for 500 passes.  (yes, I let it run all weekend).  

I increased the size to 5000x2378 pixels and increased the DPI to 150. The file ended up at 1.31 mb.  I'm not complaining that it's too big, but rather I expected it to be much larger.  

Is that a typical size for a "high resolution" Raytrace?  Or am I missing something?  I'd like to be able to raytrace an image that will look great when blown up to a 30"x24" picture. 

Thanks,

Jonathan J. 

Grammar, Amy - Exterior (Front) 3.jpg

Also, what exactly am I gaining by going 500 passes?  Or increasing the DPI?  When you zoom in on the image, there is still a lot of pixelated areas.  

The DPI setting just determines the print size in inches based upon the pixel width & height. Running 500 passes is not likely going to yield a significantly better Raytrace, I find that after about 30 passes the difference between it and say 100 passes is not often detectable. The last time I sent something out to a printer they wanted 600DPI resolution. Based on your 30" X 24" print size you need to change your width to 18,000 and the height to 14,400 and the DPI to 600. This could take a very long time to Raytrace, double the pixels quadruples the time.

Graham

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    alexvictory
    Newest Member
    alexvictory

• By acquavella
      Hello! I'm using X7 Interiors as I specialize in kitchen and bath.  I recently bought a new iMac (specs below) hoping that Chief Architect would work better as it would suddenly quit with errors when I was running it on my 2013 MacBook Pro.  The random quitting still occurs (which is annoying, but that's not my question here); however, ray trace which, ironically, worked on my 2013 MacBook Pro will not even start on my 2017 iMac.  I receive the following error:

/Users/autobuild/p4sync/dev/releases/17/chief/source/raytrace.cpp(619): Error #272032202
      "Unable to open ray tracing engine - ray tracing disabled for this session."
      10/24/2018 10:49:20 PM
      Build: 17.3.2.2OSX

I've already tried their suggestions... I made a simple plan and it still came up with the error.  Then I checked for updates in both Chief Architect and my system and they are up-to-date.

I plan on upgrading in December to the newest Chief Architect assuming these problems will go away... but I'm scared that they won't.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated! Thanks!

Chief Architect Interiors X7
      Build: 17.3.2.2OSX

iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5-inch, 2017)
      3.6 GHz Intel Core i7
      Memory: 16 GB 2400 MHz DDR4
      Video: Radeon Pro 555 2048 MB
    • By MAINEWOOD59
      I added a light source to the raytrace, but do not want it to show on the ceiling?

• By SMC2992
      Hi friends:

I have done a ray-trace for about 17 hours or so for 35 passes, but I am getting light behind the chair arm, which I don't know why?
      Can any one help me to find out why I am getting this light behind the chair.
      Software is X10

Thankyou
      Salah

• By BruceBoardman
      Good day all,

I am using v10 on a MAC. I'm an intermediate user and don't use Ray Trace a TON. 'Doing my first set of traces is v10 and all my setting seem to be off. My ceilings are glowing, the lighting doesn't seem right. Blah blah blah. I have imported defaults from an older file that had my best settings.  I have a presentation this afternoon to sell this project anyone able to open this file and see what my deal is?? Oh and I can't figure out where to change my backdrop, either. Did it move?

What am I missing? I'm sure it's simple.

GAT_glowing_effect.plan.zip
    • By limitless8
      So simple I think question that I can't figure out, for example I split my 4k screen into two screens, in one 'screen' I have a ray trace scene ready, and let's say its 2000*1000 pixels, and I want to increase the pixel density, meaning make it a truly 4k image, but I don't want my scene view to expand?  I've tried to figure this out and in the ray trace window I would put in new values, but in the end the ray trace scene view would expand... not sure if I made sense...Basically let's say I want to ray trace the view of a table, and when I increase the pixels to 4k it ends up including the neighboring cabinet that wasn't in the original window. I don't want the field of view to expand, rather pack more pixels in the current camera view/active window.

Any and all help much appreciated!