Lock Stair Riser Height?

olyconstruction

Hi Chiefs,

I am building these stairs in the screen shot below. I want them to be to code, so I have the tread set at 10" and the risers at 7 3/4. I want the top of the stairs to be flush with floor finish (say that 5 times fast) but when I set my bottom and top height to the associated floor level, my riser height becomes too large. Can I lock my riser height to be a maximum number, then input my top and bottom height data, or can I lock bottom and top height values and adjust the riser height?

Thank you!

EX1.JPG

You likely need another tread.  Stair math results are fixed by your floor elevations.  The image you show has 17 risers from middle to top floor.  If the only way to get a comfortable riser height less than 7-3/4" is to go to 18, you may have to alter your floor plan to allow for the extra 10 inches of space.

Chief draws your stairs based on those elevations, but once you start locking riser heights and tread counts, you are off on your own and stairs may not "reach" the way you want.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Gene, 

When I lock the top height and adjust the number of treads I can work toward a more manageable riser number. Unfortunately the floor height for one of my levels gives me a 7 7/16" riser. I wish there was a way to make it more manageable. The next closest incrimint is 4 3/4" riser but with 28 steps, which would mess up the design I have going:wacko: