Dormer roof joining issue

KKB9750

First off, thanks to the contributors on this site.  After some diligent forum searching I managed to solve the majority of my dormer issues. 

However, I'm still having an issue with getting the roof planes on the gable side to join properly.  I've recreated my issue in simplified plan attached.  As shown, the dormer roof planes extend to the edges of the primary roof planes and I thought I should be able to just use a join function to merge a dormer plane to its corresponding primary plan, but whenever I do I get the "Cannot move these roof edges without making adjacent edges cross one another or making one of them zero length" warning.  These dormers happen to be symmetric so I can successfully join the two dormer planes at the ridge line, but it creates some strange overlap artifacts as shown in the picture.

Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks,

Dormer roof question.jpg

dormer test.plan

I do not have time to repair right now, but your roofs are not set up same. Pitch/ baseline/fascia top must be same on both roof planes for them to join seamlessly. Examples: roof plane was 11 1/16" roof pitch, baselines are of too, get all these settings correct on each roof plane and I think all will be well. Be back at dsk this afternoon

Thanks for the response Shane and I see what you mean about the attributes not lining up. Not sure what happened on the pitch and such, but in theory, could the dormer and the primary roof have the same baseline since one is set on the dormer wall and one on the side wall?

So I've gone in an corrected the slight differences in the ridge lines by recreating the roof planes.  All primary roof planes have the same baseline, pitch, and ridge top, the two dormers have the same baseline, pitch, and ridge top, and the dormers and primary roof planes have the same ridge top.  However I still have the same issue as above (as well as another visual artifact I've pointed out in my _1 picture below.

Is there a solution to these imperfections?  Are they indicative of some actually issues in the way I connected things or are they purely visual?

In my mind, it seems like I should be able to join the dormer plane with the primary roof plane by selecting the dormer, pressing 2, and clicking on the primary plane like I've shown in my _2 picture.  But that just generates the zero length error I cited above.

Thoughts?

Dormer roof question_1.jpg

Dormer roof question_2.jpg