Best Way To Make This Arched Doorway.

Rosco2017

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how to go about making this kind of detail above my arched opening. I have tried with 3D molding polylines and get crappy results. We do this in all of our houses and it would be nice to finally get to show it to a client instead of showing them the render and then a picture of what it's supposed to look like. Here's what we start out with,post-58-0-32520500-1402280630_thumb.jpg and then here is what we finish with. post-58-0-94282900-1402280715_thumb.jpg He's another photo of what I'm talking about.post-58-0-01470100-1402280806_thumb.jpg Hopefully this makes sense, if it doesn't please tell me so I can try to clarify what I want to accomplish.

This can all be done in Chief with a combination of polyline solids, molding polylines, and 3D molding polylines but it is fairly involved and complex and can hardly be shown and/or demonstrated to you in anything like a concise post on Chieftalk.  It would take nearly as long to explain it as it would be to just do it, and it looks like you have very particular, idiosyncratic situations where two trim build-ups die into eachother, or die into wall intersections in unique and odd ways.  

Can you give a more clear example of your attempts in Chief so that someone might be more focused as to where, exactly, you need help?  

From just a basic design standpoint, I would suggest that the design of the doors and doorways themselves would be improved by changing their size and/or location so as not to have the trims dying into each other, or into walls in these idiosyncratic ways.

As Bryce mentioned, build one arched opening using p-solids and moldings. Save this to your library as a block and define the stretching planes correctly. This will give you a symbol you can import in and stretch to the correct opening width. The downside is you will get some minor distortion in the arch molding, depending on how much you stretch.