Inexteriors

Selecting Objects By Type

I have had this situation arise many times, and have had to fix it manually each time which has eaten up production time. I'm wondering if there is another easier way to select all of the same item in a more quick way...

I understand to replace all installations of a certain object you can use the replace object tool. I also understand that you can group select object types by using their parent tool and holding "Shift" to drag a marquee around all objects (say electrical objects). Is there a way to single out only one type of (say electrical objects, such as 4" cans ONLY) and drag a marquee that selects only those objects and does not include other electrical items like switches, 6" cans, outlets, etc.?

I cannot seem to find a suitable way to do this, and wonder if anyone else has had a similar problem and potentially found a solution.

Thanks,

-C-

I use the Match Properties tool for exactly what you are talking about all the time. It has a lot of uses, but I primarily use it as a selection tool.

Michael,

Thank you so much! I'll give it a try. I had no idea such a tool existed.

However that said, I'm not sure how to access it. I typed in help and looked in the toolbar customization section. Where do I access the Match Properties tool. I'm using X7 Premier if that helps.

-C-

It's not available for all objects but seems to be available for most. Only becomes available once you select the first object.

OK I found it. I was thinking it was a toolbar kind of tool and not a secondary tool like the transform/replicate that only shows up once an object is selected.

Thank you again. This seems to have worked exactly like I needed.

-C-

OK I found it. I was thinking it was a toolbar kind of tool and not a secondary tool like the transform/replicate that only shows up once an object is selected.

Thank you again. This seems to have worked exactly like I needed.

-C-

You bet! Glad I could help :-)

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Floriance
    Newest Member
    Floriance

• By divreig
      Anyone know how to change label text size? I am working on a large building and the layout scaling is 1/32". The labels are too small and cant be read. I cant find options for text size all the label panel, all it has that box that says use default, that I can check and uncheck. But don't know where to edit this default size or the individual label text size. 

• By rikdekker
      Many websites offer 3D resources for designers (see attached example). What would be the best file type to pick for importing 3D objects?
      I have tried various ones but have trouble with the scale and materials.

• By JonBDesigns
      Hi Everyone!
      I am working on a 90k square foot remodeling project for Veterans' and up until this point I have had zero issues or lag from my hardware or the Chief Software.

I recently imported over 375 3rd party 3D objects in order to accommodated the design requirements of the project. A majority of the objects are 2017 Sketchup (.skp) files from 3D Warehouse. Some of the objects can get very complex--such as entire Coffee shops, large 3d wall panels, large furniture groupings, and complex medical equipment. On some of the more complex and larger ones it took about 20-30 minutes to get the object to load into Chief. 

My file size is currently just over 3 GB and growing --- which is something my system can handle. As of right now it feels like I am using a POS computer, and I am most definitely not ( (see specs below). Just about every operation (in Chief)  is very slow and bogged down--I can still use the rest of my computer fine. 

Have I overloaded the Chief Library / Software? If so, should I purge all unused objects until they are needed in order to improve performance? Is there something else that I can do? 

I truly appreciate your help.

Peace, 

Jon

Ryzen Threadripper 1950x (16 cores)
      64 GB 3200mhz Quad Channel Ram Corsair Dominator
      Nvidia Quadro P4000
      2x 512 GB Samsung 960 Pro M.2 SSD
      256 Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD
      2TB Samsung 960 Evo SSD
      Corsair 115i Watercooler
      Corsair HX1000i PSU

• By MindBender
      I'm in a little bit of a Tim-crunch so A  minute amount of impatiens may translate into this post so my apologies in advance and welcome your suggestions to solve this issue.....
      ....but is anyone else having these types of issues? ( see video of me moving a detail in the 2-D environment with no other windows open, layouts, details, etc) I window select a group of lines, objects and level-licked grouped objects, in fact, the entire detail, and needed to drag it over just 4 inches and my computer hangs in thinking mode for "54 seconds"?? Why..... Why would this happen??? Is there a program preset I'm missing, a setup not checked, or something not enabled, even a mouse setting either in-program or via windows system setups?? Do I need to start a new "STARTER PLAN" file? Do drawing files keep getting larger even when you delete from your drawing files, particularly my starter plan??

Computer specs:
      i7 Gen3 intel 4-Core
      2.4Gb Invidia GPU DDR-5
      20Gb Corsair DDR-3
      .5Tb SSD
      Win7 Pro
      CA X4 (yes I know I'm behind a bit on versions)

Any and all help or suggestions are welcome.... I am wanting to be humble and not mad at my machine or program... I just need to somehow find a solution to my production bottleneck. Thank you ever so much for your help in advance!!
      IMG_0739.MOV
    • By OldCKD
      I just went to do a quick ray-trace on a project I am finalizing, and got a bit of a shock at how one object rendered.  The object was imported from Sketch-Up, and looked just fine in the camera view.  But after the rendering developed - surprise!

Any way to fix this?  Why did this happen?