Can't change default deck rim joist away from LVL to PT lumber

kodybaxter

Go to solution Solved by GeneDavis,

Hey all, 

I don't want to use LVL, but just regular PT. I swapped this out in room defaults but nothing changed. I couldn't find a default in the deck railing tool. Is there another setting I'm missing? I've looked at all the defaults I can, but I still haven't been able to swap out the material for the rim joist. I'd like the materials list to be able to change with each revision I make to the deck so I want to keep it automatically building

Thanks for reading :)

Screenshot 2024-09-22 at 6.56.20 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-09-22 at 6.56.30 PM.png

• Solution

You can set that in General Framing Defaults for floor framing.  There is presently no way to set rims for decks differently (width and material type) from floor framing, so unless you want to take the time to edit all deck rims in your final config to 1-1/2" P.T. lumber,  you have to frame in this sequence, if floors (not decks) get engineered lumber rims.

Set the floor frame rims to be 1-1/2" and P.T. lumber in the defaults, build deck framing, but do not build floor framing until after all decks are settled for size, elevation, etc.  Now with decks framed, lock their framing by turning off autoframe for decks, locking their layers,  and only then change the framing defaults back  to however wanted for floor framing.  You can now build floor framing.