Unwanted Height Added to Roof

HeatherMcK

Hello!

I am struggling with some height being added to my roof. I want the rafters to sit directly on the top plate of the wall but as you can see in the photo there is (I believe) an added 1' 5 1'2" that I have not been able to figure out how to get rid of. I have gone down the rabbit hole of research and at this point I must be missing something so I thought I would ask for help. So far I've looked into the framing, the baseline height, attic walls, lowering the roof planes, etc. but still haven't been able to solve it with the forum posts I've read. I would greatly appreciate any help! I will attach a link to dropbox with the plan.

Chief Architect File

Screen Shot 2024-03-17 at 9.07.44 PM.png

Hi @HeatherMcK, click on your room with the single window and have a look at the structure tab, floor to ceiling heights. Then adjust accordingly (Deduct that value you have above in your post). If there are other rooms on that story then do the same for them. Then you will have to click and select all your top story roof planes and open them up and change the height setting by deducting the amount you have specified above once again. That should lower your roof planes. Hope this helps ?

Edited: here is an official training tip on ways to do those changes:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/1515/raising-and-lowering-roof-planes.html?playlist=95

Perhaps it would help if I included a photo of the plan I am bringing into the program, please see below. The floor to top plate should be 6'4" with vaulted ceilings (for all of the second floor rooms).

@mthd97 I appreciate your response and the link! I have considered doing a deduction of the amount but worry that I have done something wrong in the program and that fix would just cover up the issue. Is there a reason why I would need to deduct an odd amount, something that I'm unaware of? I'm trying to understand where I went wrong so I don't replicate the problem in the future.

@solver Thank you for the reply. Yes, the second floor should be 6'4" to the top plate with vaulted ceilings. I have looked at the framing overview and it looks like the wall that is framed is 88 3/4", though the room floor to ceiling are set to be 6'4".

2141733184_ScreenShot2024-03-18at9_20_49AM.thumb.png.e2d56df76c221a3428cb55b5c23b07c9.png1450420573_ScreenShot2024-03-18at9_06_47AM.thumb.png.8785cd6bcc20056f7d57fe121241f963.png

Hi @HeatherMcK, this design of yours has raked ceilings as shown by your section and this becomes a special case. As @solversays you can achieve that by lowering and raising your roof planes accordingly to the desired floor to rafter pitching point height.

To get to 6 foot 4 inches on the wall where your arrow is. You would need to cut a section through your model and draw that line exactly where it is on the section above. That dashed dotted line is not at your floor level so you need a dimension from that line down to the floor as well. That should give you a reference point to know if your current roof height is set correctly. 

In order to help, you need to provide a dimension directly under the 6’4” dimension down to the floor level.

Have fun.

Edited: Here is an official training video that just might help you adjust your roof height and your ceiling height in your type of scenario ?

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/1605/designing-a-one-and-a-half-story-roof.html?playlist=95