Possible to delete defaults?

PoolDigger99

The work I do is very minimal and doesn't need a lot of stuff present in the software.

Frequently I run into issues where I just want to get rid of some line styles or some unused layers that I will never use, but no delete option is present or when there is it's greyed out.

I understand this is some kind of failsafe to stop people from accidentally deleting their important things and not being able to get them back, but I can't even seem to activate some kind of advanced mode to confirm I know what I'm doing and do in fact really want to delete them.

Is there any way to accomplish this?

As for my reason for wanting to delete them, it's because it causes visual clutter. Huge lists of options I don't need that just make misclicks more frequent and makes what I do use harder to find. Best I've done so far to make my layer list easier to use is rename every layer I don't want with ZZ at the front but even that isn't preventing quick glances at the list from getting lost. It would really speed up workflow if I could just get rid of these layers and line styles I don't want.

Hi there,

Just to clarify, do you mean display layers or layer sets?

Next, yes - you can delete almost all of these components except for the CAD Blocks because some of the user library fixtures need these symbols and are not able to be deleted. For deleting line styles, make sure that you don't have CAD Blocks that are using that particular line type or that line type assigned to a display layer (ex: base cabinet's dashed line type) as that will prevent deletion. 

If you mean display layers, if you want to reduce the number of display layers there are a couple ways to do this. 1) Deletion - Make sure that nothing on your plan is assigned to that layer and that no dimensions, wall types, text styles, callouts, etc. are either - then most layers should be able to be deleted outside of a core group required for the program. 2) "Merge" layers that you can combine elements on your plan and do not need separate layers for.

If you mean layer sets, in order to get rid of the components above you have to delete these in a certain order for them to not be "greyed" out. Off the top of my head.. (and I may transpose a couple of these, but play with it and you'll get there). 

Deletion order (ish):

1. Plan Views
  2. Default Sets
  3. Dimensions Styles, Text Styles, Arrows, Callouts, etc.
  4. Layer Sets

Some of the defaults are hard coded into the program and can't be deleted. 

For example, if you open the "line style management" dialog, you will see a symbol that tells you whether or not a line style is a built in system one ("S"), used by one of the other program defaults ("wrench"), used by something in the plan ("+"), or not being used.  If you hover your mouse over the symbol, you should get a hint as to where it is being used.  Same thing with all of your layers.

The bottom line is you can't delete any system defaults but you should be able to delete most of the other things just as long as they are not being used.  So the really tricky part is figuring out where something is being used.

If you need more help, you might want to post a plan with a specific case of something you want to delete but can't.