Attic trusses on multi-level house and garage

baltimorestef

Hi,
I'm trying to create attic trusses for the primary house, wings and garage. I can get attic trusses to work when following the tutorial, but when I try to add to my current model, it causes the other roofs to blow-up. I'm also having trouble connecting the rear patio roof to the rest of the roofs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
StefanFarmHouseX0.plan.zip

If you are trying to build attic trusses for the attic in your plan...then, you will have to build a new 3rd floor. In order to have attic trusses you need a floor and ceiling...and knee walls (or full height) with an attic room on the outside of each wall. I've attached instructions from the Chief X15 manual...and a screen clip of the truss I built in your plan.

The width of the webs may be too small...but you can open the truss and change all the webs to the width you want. 
2024-03-11_20-26-53.thumb.png.7489aff547fe59f1ced1e4b203949134.png 2024-03-11_20-29-56.thumb.png.f3666c3f96a31b7354ee612b4bf7fe2f.png

• 2 weeks later...

SNestor,

Thanks for the reply. I am able to create the attic truss for the third floor attic on the main house following the tutorial, but I'm having trouble then creating attic trusses on the wings (and garage) that are on the second story. I've tried several different orders of operation, but can't quite seem the way to get CA to work for this. Images are from multiple attempts, not the same plan.

Thanks again,

stefan

Untitled.png

Untitled 2.png

attic_trusses.png

Just a guess…but all rooms where you are going to want attic trusses need knee walls and a ceiling. It doesn’t appear you do. You have to have a “room” before you can get attic trusses 

SNestor,

Thanks for the response. I created the attic truss on the 3rd floor of the main house successfully following the tutorial (see middle picture above). I can create trusses on the 2nd floor above the first floor wings (see middle picture above again), but CA does not produce ceiling break lines as it did on the third floor. I created knee walls roughly where I expect they would be in the wings, but then CA doesn't let me select any of the enclosed areas (rooms) in order to label them as "attic" rooms. Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Stefan

If you are unable to open a room…then some or all of the walls that enclose the space are set as “no room definition”. All the walls must have room definition. 

You will have to open each wall and uncheck “no room definition”.