As-built roof measurements. How to scope this one?

GeneDavis

A 40-plus-year-old house was built first as a rectangular chalet-roof thing, then it got a rectangular addition, another rectangle, joining the chalet at an off-90 angle.  Now another addition is to happen, this one a rectangle, patched to one side of that second rectangle.

Roofing this new addition, and joining it to the as-built, is a challenge for me.  I envision a hip-roofed array, must be the same pitch (very close to 2/12 if not exactly that), truss-framed, with a lay-over section built atop the existing.  See the pics.  There is a Google Earth overhead of the as-built, and my two pics, one highlighting the two as-built roof planes, the other highlighting the addition that has the lay-over part.

I think to do the roof remodel this way, particularly with engineered trusses (100 psf ground snow load), we'll need to get via site measurements, the exact as-built roof's geometry.  However we design the roof of the addition, the overhang of the as-built roof along the 24-foot length of this new addition will be demo'd, so right now we could go up with ladders and cordless sawzalls and chop off a segment directly above where there is a window.

What tools and techniques would you use to get the measurements so as to be able to model the as-built roof accurately?

Screenshot 2024-03-09 100846.png

Screenshot 2024-03-09 102303.png

Screenshot 2024-03-09 102318.png