Overlaying As-Built and Remodeled Plan Versions: What about walls?

DIYJon

I've watched the video on overlaying a remodel on an as-built plan to visualize the changes, but I think I might be stuck on one point.

I have drawn out my current residence.  Some of the existing walls are block wall with 1" furring strips between 1/2" drywall with no insulation.  I'm furring out those walls to have 2X3 studs and foam insulation.

On my as-built plan, will I need to create a new layer just for that wall (i.e. Walls, Normal - As Built) and make sure that wall is assigned to that layer set, and then put the new wall in the Walls, Normal - Remodeled layer, then create a view that switches between the two in order to accurately visualize?

Edited by DIYJon
Typo

19 hours ago, DIYJon said:

I've watched the video on overlaying a remodel on an as-built plan to visualize the changes, but I think I might be stuck on one point.

I have drawn out my current residence.  Some of the existing walls are block wall with 1" furring strips between 1/2" drywall with no insulation.  I'm furring out those walls to have 2X3 studs and foam insulation.

On my as-built plan, will I need to create a new layer just for that wall (i.e. Walls, Normal - As Built) and make sure that wall is assigned to that layer set, and then put the new wall in the Walls, Normal - Remodeled layer, then create a view that switches between the two in order to accurately visualize?

You are on the right path, I'm sure there are many ways to accomplish what you are after. I use a combination of layer sets as well as using the reference displays from "As-Built", "Addition Only" and "Completed Project" plans. I also utilize the framing materials for each of the different walls so 3D also has a demo / reno reference. CA has pretty good tools to work with and I've had good feedback from the contractors.

1254971878_RenoDemoLayers.thumb.png.c39e35d1f4732a25e41414bd69927afa.png671812247_RenoWallColours.thumb.png.5fac61299c09374238bb66f9305a2f56.png1570570471_3DRenoWalls.thumb.png.73b68e6216690429a535533e7768afe9.png