Staircase - wall above but open below

cfichter

I've investigated the training videos - lots showing wall below and open below - but I can't figure out how to set a wall above (so as you walk down stairs you are encased by walls) but below staircase is open.  I've tried various pony wall configs, stumped.

thx for ideas/tips I'm obviously overlooking something really simple.

1 hour ago, cfichter said:

I can't figure out how to set a wall above...but below staircase is open...stumped

I'm obviously overlooking something really simple.

Not really.

There's no good way to do this. The program simply doesn't have an option or setting to make this happen automatically. Quite frustratingly, the opposite is rather simple: simply draw a wall under your stairs, or set a half-wall to "Follow Stairs". Done!

For this though, you'll need to manually break and re-shape the bottom of the wall.

I would do this in a cross section looking at the wall from within the stairs

ex:

image.png.7e0c44396817f676cf21f474a5acdb24.png

In that elevation you can break and shape the wall. It'll even snap to the underside lines of the stairs, which make it easier:

image.thumb.png.c6c2d2e377f8b5fab570b28081d190af.png

What it WONT do is cover the underside of your stairs, or more importantly, the exposed underside of your wall

image.thumb.png.c2cfb03f6bd851fc8533328853639843.png

That can be covered up with a 3D Solid, Soffit, Custom Ceiling plane...

But hey, you're already in an elevation to do this, so might as well create a 3D Solid while you're there.

image.thumb.png.f8478441676f2012eee8f42922d3307d.png

• Like 1