Is Chief Architect going to allow 3D model export and import in the future ?

mthd97

Hi, I am wondering if Chief Architect is planning to allow 3D model export and import in the future ? If so what file format would be viable for it ? As you know other CAD/BIM products allow this type of 3D model sharing. I think that would a great step for CA to take. Many benefits would open up to CA in 3D collaboration with other CAD products. Many other CAD/BIM solutions also let their users know what they are working on for the future. Will we have something similar at CA ?

2 hours ago, mthd97 said:

Hi, I am wondering if Chief Architect is planning to allow 3D model export and import in the future ? If so what file format would be viable for it ? As you know other CAD/BIM products allow this type of 3D model sharing. I think that would a great step for CA to take. Many benefits would open up to CA in 3D collaboration with other CAD products. Many other CAD/BIM solutions also let their users know what they are working on for the future. Will we have something similar at CA ?

We can already import and export 3d.
If you are refering to importing something that then works within chiefs native parametric modal modeling...then I would guess "likely never."
I wouldn't mind the ability to manipulate vertices though. But at that point, why not just use blender which is free. Do you have an example of what you are proposing it do?

Good Morning:

Looking to see if Chief Architect can interface with 3D model export & import programs like RendR and Bluebeam. It would really assist us in gathering field measure data, then generating as-built plans and models that we can use to discuss remodeling project and help the client visualize the spaces involved. Looking for support/responses on this topic. Thank you! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChiefBobbyV said:

Good Morning:

Looking to see if Chief Architect can interface with 3D model export & import programs like RendR and Bluebeam. It would really assist us in gathering field measure data, then generating as-built plans and models that we can use to discuss remodeling project and help the client visualize the spaces involved. Looking for support/responses on this topic. Thank you! 

Wasnt aware that bluebeam interfaced with 3d. For Rendr you can always use CAD to Walls feature but I would take a look at my response above regarding the parametric component basis of Chief.

On 10/31/2023 at 2:40 PM, Renerabbitt said:

We can already import and export 3d.
If you are refering to importing something that then works within chiefs native parametric modal modeling...then I would guess "likely never."
I wouldn't mind the ability to manipulate vertices though. But at that point, why not just use blender which is free. Do you have an example of what you are proposing it do?

Yes a parametric model exchange is what I was referring to. I hope It’s not a “never say never” scenario ? I was asking in the hope that someone on the engineering team would say “yay or nay” ? I know it has been brought up before on other requests like an “IFC” format possibility.

I think CA is excellent enough to graduate from college football to the big league as a robust residential 3D/CAD/BIM system in the future. When you start playing ball with the big boys you have to run faster to keep up with them. The future would look very bright if CA chooses to go down that path.

Just Imagine, Model imported from other 3D/CAD/BIM into Chief Architect to do the cabinets or bathrooms by an Interior Designer and shared right back. Or a residential plan is imported into Chief Architect to model the framing in 3D and shared back. As well as sharing models for finer level renderings. The list goes on and on. 

Just my hopes for Chief Architect because it’s not a very difficult software to use and learn.

• Like 1