Window Setback to extend 'Window Frame' slightly beyond siding

Drew-PRH

Good day,

I can not find any conversation regarding exactly what I need to accomplish (unless I missed it or did not understand the application).

I am needing to set the vinyl windows into their openings and have the window extend beyond the siding - Slightly.

They are currently set to :

OPTIONS>Recessed into Wall>Recessed>To Sheathing Layer (I've tried switching to Main Layer - no effect)

No Casing, No Lintel, No Sill

Sash at 1.5">Depth 1.5">Inset was Changed to -5" and it moved the window more to exterior, but will not move further to exterior.

Frame>NO Frame as it is Drywall Wrap Interior

Is there another setting or option to accomplish this task?

To remove the siding wrapping back to the window.

Thank you -

Window Setback.jpg

All windows have frames.  You want a frame with a negative inset equal to sheathing t + siding t + proud where proud is how far you want frame to project beyond siding.

I did a project with Andersen 100 Series windows, like vinyl windows except Andersen extrudes their Fibrex mat'l instead of PVC, and unchecked "frame match wall depth" or whatever it's called.  Frames were 1.75 x 3.25, inset -1.875, sash 1.375 x 2.25.  Sash inset 1/8".  If you are doing simple drywall returns inside Chief gives OK 3D.

Not so much if you are gonna wood-trim those windows inside.  Check my thread in Suggestions about all this window 3D stuff.

It looks like you don't have a frame. The sash inset doesn't let you enter a negative value, however the frame inset will. This restriction on the sash inset is because the sash inset is relative to the frame inset. However, it probably makes sense to allow a negative sash inset if there isn't a frame (feel free to make a suggestion if you'd like to see this change).

To workaround this restriction, you can add a frame with a small width (eg. 1/16") and a depth equal to the sash depth. Then set the sash inset to 0" and the frame inset to the value you need.

image.thumb.png.52a850325330c372fe2adf2672e77b60.png

OutsetWindow.plan

If you're interested, here are some recent suggestions related to what you're trying to do.

3 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

All windows have frames.  You want a frame with a negative inset equal to sheathing t + siding t + proud where proud is how far you want frame to project beyond siding.

I did a project with Andersen 100 Series windows, like vinyl windows except Andersen extrudes their Fibrex mat'l instead of PVC, and unchecked "frame match wall depth" or whatever it's called.  Frames were 1.75 x 3.25, inset -1.875, sash 1.375 x 2.25.  Sash inset 1/8".  If you are doing simple drywall returns inside Chief gives OK 3D.

Not so much if you are gonna wood-trim those windows inside.  Check my thread in Suggestions about all this window 3D stuff.

Thank you Gene,

I will follow your suggestion on your thread.

I appreciate your details and explanation, easy to understand - good job!

2 hours ago, JacobB said:

It looks like you don't have a frame. The sash inset doesn't let you enter a negative value, however the frame inset will. This restriction on the sash inset is because the sash inset is relative to the frame inset. However, it probably makes sense to allow a negative sash inset if there isn't a frame (feel free to make a suggestion if you'd like to see this change).

To workaround this restriction, you can add a frame with a small width (eg. 1/16") and a depth equal to the sash depth. Then set the sash inset to 0" and the frame inset to the value you need.

image.thumb.png.52a850325330c372fe2adf2672e77b60.png

OutsetWindow.plan 3.01 MB · 0 downloads

If you're interested, here are some recent suggestions related to what you're trying to do.

Hello Jacob,

Thank you for the details and attachment.

I appreciate your time in sharing for the best clarification, and further info for me to follow up on.

**  Is there a way to add a sill through the Window Dialog which is full wall depth (excluding window frame) and in doing so, also by adding to the depth amount to create a slight overhang?

I don't believe there is a way to do that - I've been adding my own independently.

Thank you!!

2 hours ago, Drew-PRH said:

**  Is there a way to add a sill through the Window Dialog which is full wall depth (excluding window frame) and in doing so, also by adding to the depth amount to create a slight overhang?

I don't believe there is a way to do that - I've been adding my own independently.

I don't know of a good way to do that. You can change the sill inset, but that doesn't give the most accurate results.

You may want to ask about this in a new thread. You'll have a better chance of getting more responses, and it will make the question easier to search for in the future.