How to fix gap between Wall and Roof

flightcrazed

Go to solution Solved by TeaTime,

Hello all, I'm designing a Barn and having trouble getting the roof to sit on top of the wall like I want on the lean-to.  I'm trying to design a 9' wall, sloped ceiling with shed roof on a 2:12 slope.  I've attached a few views for reference.  Any ideas are much appreciated!  Thank you

Barn Left Elevation.jpg

Barn Perspective Floor Overview.jpg

Barn Perspective Full Overview.jpg

Hi @flightcrazed - it's helpful when asking questions on the forum that we know what software you're using - adding it to your Signature is super handy.

Looking at those images though, it looks like the missing wall is specifically on the floor above, it's likely an Attic Wall that gets automatically generated but may have been manually pulled in a camera view.

First thing I'd look at is if you can select them in 3D, or at least one of them, open it's Specification window and go to the Structure section, and make sure Default Wall Top is checked.

You might attach a copy of the plan that we can look at, too.

Thank you @TeaTimefor the quick reply!  I've attached the plan that I'm working with.  It's in Student edition so hopefully that's not a problem.  Per your recommendation, Default Wall Top is selected and it is showing as an Attic Wall.  I believe the reason it's missing in the view is because it's "invisible".  Is there a good way to just remove that Attic Wall?  Or lower the roof plane the 1' 8 1/4"Monitor Barn 25x60 + 4 suites.planto meet the wooden beams?

Monitor Barn 25x60 + 4 suites.plan

3 minutes ago, flightcrazed said:

I believe the reason it's missing in the view is because it's "invisible".

You hit the nail on the head. Simply Unchecking "Invisible" fixes this.

image.thumb.png.0463b02c8dbc788de3138f246b5c9458.png

If I were to guess, this wall was probably deleted at some point--whether intentional or otherwise. Attic Walls pop up automatically, when you delete them the program keeps them, just marks them invisible. Delete the invisible one, it becomes visible. the program put them there for a reason and it's very adamant that they stay! Whether you SEE them or not is another story.

• Solution
23 minutes ago, flightcrazed said:

Is there a good way to...lower the roof plane the 1' 8 1/4" to meet the wooden beams?

The issue here is that your roof is set to Trusses w/ a 30" Heel, but also a vaulted ceiling

image.thumb.png.005fc5822bcbfb624365fd80cd8bec23.png

Here's what it's trying to do:

image.thumb.png.01a0ef791aebf41cfcfc697a695a4989.png

To complicate matters, you seem to have accidentally create Roof Baseline Polylines -- I'm not going to get into how these things work apart from just the fact that they're going to bar the roof from building properly. Go to Edit, Deleted Objects, check "Roof Baseline Polylines" (in the top group, on the right) and press OK. Then if you go to the Build Roof dialog and set it to Rafters you'll see it drop down.

image.png.9cf8102038c82a2861a9d50c4b5d2d23.png

• Like 1