Just thought others might like to know My new laptop build for X15 under $2,000.00

OkcDesigner

I bought A GU603ZM at BestBuy (open box-yes cover a little scratched)

I7-12700H, 16gb ram, 512 m.2, second m.2 slot available, RTX3060 6gb ddr6, 16" screen.

This is how I modified it. 

data migrated, 512 m.2 to Samsung 2TB NVMe M.2. (After setting up windows Home 11)

Added a second Samsung 2TB NVMe m.2

Replaced the one 8gb Memory card ddr5, with a 32gb ddr5 memory for a total of 40gb Ram. (there is a 8gb ram on the motherboard)

So that is how I ended up with a I7-12700H, 40 gb Ram, 2-2TB m.2 drives and a RTX3060 laptop that seems to be the fastest computer I have at the moment.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, SHCanada2 said:

out of curiosity, why the above specs vs

https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16834725208 at $2k

where the graphics RAM would be higher:

• NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Laptop GPU Boost Clock 1395 MHz / Maximum Graphics Power 130 W 16 GB GDDR6
  • Intel Core i7 12th Gen 12700H (2.30GHz)
  • 32GB Memory 1 TB Gen4 SSD

That would be a very good laptop to buy!

The difference between is the video card and the storage. for about the same price.

I really just stumbled on this open box.

Thank you, I would recommend this over the one I started with.

Jason,

A friend of mine tells me that 32gb Ram is most you need unless rendering.

I would buy the one you asked about and update the m.2 to 2 TB (Samsung) Gen4 SSD and use the 1tb as second drive. (After I made sure the 2TB was working properly, before doing anything to the factory 1TB)

You will have to get a USB external case and use the Samsung data migration software to copy the 1tb to the new 2tb (I bought the 2TB for 159.00 each)

I had the external USB case. (using the factory 512 as external USB drive) PSA.......Samsung software only works with Samsung drives!

Good luck and let me know what you end up doing.

oh I'm not in the market ..yet, mine is about 18 months old and I paid 2k, but I watch the threads for tidbits on where people are seeing improvements in performance. When I bought mine, going to an I9 was like another 1500. so one always asks, is it worth it? I kind of have it in my head that the GPU is the place to spend the money and ensure a min of 32 GB for motherboard ram as running MS edge seems to be a hog and I get over 16GB occasionally, but I do like the edge particularly for viewing pdfs, because I do not have to close the browser to recreate the PDF, where the PDF editor I have, you have to close the file before creating it again in CA. Probably too much to pay in HW for such a lowly feature and probably some other programs which act the same without eating the memory. Anyway I think my thoughts are pure speculation, which is why I watch for others. I had a bit of a debate over the drive size a couple months ago. For me the drive size doesnt matter, it would take 5 years or more to run out of space on 512. But some of the larger drives are actually faster r/w, so then wonders if will this make a difference? probably for the extra $150, it is a cheap bet