Split Floor System with 12" air space between ceiling and floor

lrrydsngltn

Go to solution Solved by GeneDavis,

I'm working on designs for 2 story modular construction that have a 2x6 ceiling on the lower level and a 9.5" I-Joist floor for the upper level. The lower level will have 8' ceilings in some areas and 9' ceilings in others. The 8' high areas will have 12" of air space between the top of ceiling joists and the bottom of floor joists for HVAC ductwork. In actual construction "walls" for that 12" gap will be created with 12" deep trusses. 

My question is: How can I get a truss into that space in CA. When I create a truss it snaps to the top of the floor and It does not allow for changes to the elevation of the truss. The attached image shows what that space looks like where I need the truss as a "wall." I don't have to use a truss, the construction problem could be solved with a 12" high knee wall, But I don't know how to do that either! Can anyone offer a workaround for me?

Split Floor.jpg

• Solution

Use solids to make your truss and put it wherever you want.  A floor truss can only be put in a floor envelope.  What you want is a truss as a drop beam, something Chief does not do.

If it is not important you see it in 3D (will 3D views be in your con docs?), just do a beam the size of the truss, and label it as TRUSS in your structural plan views.  You can use CAD to show something in section view.

2 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

Use solids to make your truss and put it wherever you want.  A floor truss can only be put in a floor envelope.  What you want is a truss as a drop beam, something Chief does not do.

If it is not important you see it in 3D (will 3D views be in your con docs?), just do a beam the size of the truss, and label it as TRUSS in your structural plan views.  You can use CAD to show something in section view.

Thanks, I'll just take the time to use solids and build a component.