Custom Light Fixtures and Light Layer Data

jarrex

Two questions semi-related to each other.

1) When trying to create custom light fixtures, the fixture object is always below where the object actually is, what I mean by that is I have this 59" tall light set of 5 objects I want to convert to a light fixture:

image.thumb.png.6dd8abed062c31e421c70a8382cfc6a2.png

Yet when I convert to an electrical symbol and insert it into a plan, the bottom of the object is at the ceiling and the selection box is entirely below it:

image.thumb.png.1c3f83673c31b4a762457c1557c0b776.png

Not sure what I am doing wrong when converting it to a symbol. I right click all 5 objects and say convert to symbol --> Electrical and then check "Light" in the Symbol Options

image.thumb.png.1a3d0fc598af871f330b27c114c091e0.png

Second question:

I have a 25 light chandelier and I was trying to get it to accurately render the light broadcast by modifying the Chief Architect "Rain Chandelier Extra Long" with 25 light points (the chandelier didn't have that many points despite having that many individual bulbs). Yet when I do that, the light essentially doesn't broadcast anything:

image.thumb.png.28d8d19836a59304cdec302b2b7025b9.png

image.thumb.png.64e8b030caec710123a690a36df8836b.png

image.thumb.png.5d7eb66b3a4705141dcfe5226ff28182.png

This is the chandelier with sunlight turned off

Sunlight turned on:

image.thumb.png.8ae17c2d7465cbbf4d33654e614e16ad.png

I have no idea how to get this to actually light anything up -- I tried changing from "Point Light" to "Spot Light" purely to see if it would at least broadcast below but to no avail.

23 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

Torn on the light source indicator in 3d and make sure your lights are not inside the globes.

is the standard practice to make the light source below the globes? Just trying to make sure it casts the shadows properly and I figured if it was outside the globes it would shadow the bulbs.

Open the Chief plan and examine the lighting.  Look at the placement, the lighting specs for lumens, shadows, everything.  The material "lighting white" is used for the globes.

Look at the material specs for emissivity, transparency.  An object that's white and highly emissive casts no light, but can block all light if a light source in inside.

On 10/31/2022 at 8:35 PM, jarrex said:

I have a 25 light chandelier and I was trying to get it to accurately render the light broadcast by modifying the Chief Architect "Rain Chandelier Extra Long" with 25 light points (the chandelier didn't have that many points despite having that many individual bulbs). Yet when I do that, the light essentially doesn't broadcast anything:

What is the max number of light sources you have turned on in the view? You can find out by going to the 3D menu->Lighting->Adjust Lights

If you have it set to Automatic Lights, Chief will only turn on as many lights as the Max Lights. The default is 20. If you set Chief to using a Light Set, you can turn on as many light sources as you'd like. Be aware that a lot of light sources can cause performance issues.

image.thumb.png.a97e147003b8d1d900d3e2c26444b53f.png