Problem with upper floor plan - non standard wall heights

keithhe

Preface this this post to say the plan I'm working on is my folks house. My dad has Parkinson's, and his mobility has declined to point he can not get to the upstairs anymore. For quality of life reasons, we plan to add an addition to front of house (two story section) and install an elevator as well as totally remodel the upstairs (doors, bath all to ADA standards) to allow him to continue to live in his house. This baseline plan will be used to discuss with contractors and find a suitable plan that works. 

The lower level is very accurately drawn, and no problem I'm aware of. The upstairs section is the issue I'm running into. It is stacked correctly, i think, but 3D views show a gap in front but look right on back of house. Also, I'm aware I'm not doing the walls correct upstairs, as they are none standard height (front and back both different) with vaulted ceilings and 2 different pitches on entire 2nd level. Front wall (top of drawing) of upper floor is 70" and rear (bottom of drawing) is 88". No idea why this was done long time ago, but something I'm not great at drawing correctly.

Roofs mostly generated correct, but did have to "fix" a few issues manually (roofs on left side garage, kitchen, den) all depict right. Roofs over right side needed a few manual tweaks but pretty much are correct now. Obviously not working on second floor yet due to walls issue.

Again, the only important part is the upper floor now as far as what we need it for.

Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated.

Regards, Keith

Could not get .plan file to load here (only 7mb), so uploaded at link below

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/k01dieoycqci76j/AADj42KOrO0lAlx-Rr1DJx6ca?dl=0

Regards, KeithHouse Plan Cove Experimental.plan

Eric,

You're right, as I have two licenses, one is at X13 and the other x14 right now. I lose track of which one I'm on. My SSA is current so I will just update the 13 which is easy enough.

As for redrawing the problem walls, I've tried many times, with everything from better (closer) to really bad results. Essentially I'm trying to change the two bearing walls to railing so i can change their height to actual (70 front and 88 rear). That worked OK for the front, but really bad on the back. Not sure why yet. 

I think my roof planes are cutting siding (weird missing siding look between floors in 3D on front), but have not yet figured out exactly where and my manual experiments to correct that have not worked yet. 

Thanks

Thanks Eric.

I just brought this license version up to X14 since it was paid for anyway. I've never been in a hurry to upgrade, but just send CA money every year. LOL

As for the wall height issue, I'm not aware of any other way to control wall height where there is a vaulted ceiling, like in this case? In a normal flat ceiling room, ceiling heights dictate the height of the walls, you can't do that with vaulted, that I know of? The two bearing walls are different heights, and both roof/ceiling planes are also different, and nothing I've ever tried before, and not figuring it out yet. Is there another way to do specific wall heights? 

43 minutes ago, solver said:

It works exactly the same -- ceiling or no ceiling.

Eric,

That was unbelievably helpful. I have evidently always misunderstood setting wall heights, as i thought it was ceiling dependent in a vaulted ceiling type room as there was a need to use a rail solid wall to work around.

Your video helped me fix every issue I was having. (The windows on the uploaded video had somehow reverted to some other size, so when changed to proper height, they work as well. That was only on front side.

Thank you once again. Very helpful and learned a few things as well.