Lighting Ray Tracing between open floors

BenLondon

Go to solution Solved by Kbird1,

I have built a 2 story movie room with most of it being an "open below" second floor, leaving a mezzanine.  I have recessed lighting under the ceiling of the 1st (mezzanine) and 2nd floor.

I am trying to get the full camera views to render with all lights "in use".  The problem I have is I can only get the lower or upper lights to activate according to the height of my camera - not at the same time.  It's probably something simple.  Thanks for the help!

Ben

Screenshot 2022-08-19 17.11.26.png

Screenshot 2022-08-19 17.16.20.png

Screenshot 2022-08-19 17.16.58.png

I am in X14.  Attaching plan file.  Thanks

I used a 2nd floor because I wanted to add the wall at the edge of upper Mezzanine.  If you have suggestions of how better to approch the plan file - much appreciated.  Always learning.

However, I imagine there will be times in the fututure that I will want light rays to pass from upper floors to lower areas through "open below" areas.

Cheers

Ben

Movie Room.plan

• Solution
16 hours ago, BenLondon said:

I am in X14.  Attaching plan file.  Thanks

I used a 2nd floor because I wanted to add the wall at the edge of upper Mezzanine.  If you have suggestions of how better to approch the plan file - much appreciated.  Always learning.

However, I imagine there will be times in the fututure that I will want light rays to pass from upper floors to lower areas through "open below" areas.

Cheers

You only have 8 lights turned on in the Camera.....try 200.... with the Default Light Set , not Automatic with 2 levels as well

image.thumb.png.02881b2e75e7bbebc5c5906844e418d0.png

Looks like you PBR Setting are low too , try .35 for exposure and 30 for brightness as well.....

and with PBR make sure you have a foundation as well as a Roof or an Extra Floor above to help control the lighting engine in X14, and also remove any colored background eg trees as it will cause color bleed into the view ( ie green cast if trees).

Mick

image.thumb.png.63a2ae2711c84c75b23fc5e39c8b0ac5.png

16 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

You only have 8 lights turned on in the Camera.....try 200.... with the Defualt Light Set , not Automatic with 2 levels as well

image.thumb.png.02881b2e75e7bbebc5c5906844e418d0.png

Looks like you PBR Setting are low too , try .35 for exposure and 30 for brightness as well.....

and with PBR make sure you have a foundation as well as a Roof or an Extra Floor above to help control the lighting engine in X14, and also remove any colored background eg trees as it will cause color bleed into the view ( ie green cast if trees).

Mick

image.thumb.png.63a2ae2711c84c75b23fc5e39c8b0ac5.png

I had the number of lights at 100.  It resets every time you change the render type back to 8.   I don't think the number of lights is the issue.  HOWEVER, you are right, it was the DEFAULT Light Set Check box that I needed rather than automatic.  Thanks!

Solver: Thank you for your kind advice with regards to how to interact on the forum - I'm sure you get a lot of newbies and it can be frustrating.  I will be sure to create a signature with full details.  Have a great weekend! 

15 hours ago, BenLondon said:

It resets every time you change the render type back to 8

Change the 8 to 200 in your Plan Defaults as it doesn't happen to me that I remember...... but I have my defaults Set in my Templates to 200 as well.

Mick.