Stopping Auto Generated Deck Support Framing

Tucker

Go to solution Solved by ArthurDent,

Hopefully this is a simple one. I always build my own support framing for exterior decks on chief to suit our specific on site construction details...which are nothing at all like what chief generates.  I went to Deck default settings and unclicked "deck support beams", "deck support posts", and "deck footings" , but they are still generating on the plan when I build the decks. I also tried making their values zero but they bounce back to at least 1".  How do I prevent the deck support beams, posts, and footing from being generated automatically or do I have to manually delete them every time?

edit...oh yeah, I am using X6

• 2 weeks later...

When I turn off auto regenerate deck framing and then try to build the deck I still get framing members attached to the bottom of the deck. In the picture attached I built the deck on the right with auto regenerate deck framing on and the one on the left is when it is turned off...you can see the framing that is generated attached to the bottom of the deck joists. why is it generating this framing and how do I prevent?

post-3748-0-53596000-1421409597_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

• Solution

You don't need to turn off auto rebuild deck framing to get rid of the support beams and posts.  Just open up the room dialog for the deck and turn off "deck support beams".  If the auto rebuild is off, you will need to manually rebuild the framing to get rid of them.

If you more then one deck room, you will have to turn them off for each of them.

If you want them off for any new decks, then turn them off in the deck room defaults.

If you are still having problems, post a plan.