Automatic birdsmouth issue

TommyJ

I have a basic stick framed single-plane roof sitting on two different walls, one being a couple feet offset from the other. One set of rafters cuts the birdsmouth correctly, but the 2nd wall set doesn't. Any idea what could be wrong?

I've tried both with automatic birdsmouth cuts on and off in the defaults.

Clipboard01.thumb.jpg.205bbdccff13c9a3e6f2c0bb946a94f3.jpg

21 minutes ago, TommyJ said:

The height is automatically generated on both walls. It's height is such that the rafter just touches it on the far wall.

If you want a birdsmouth there you will need to increase the room height accordingly to create the birdsmouth.

Or are you saying it is all the same room ?

7 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

I am not so sure the program will do that automagically.  You may need to manually adjust your framing in the wall detail.

Notice that there is no edge line for the lower birdsmouth though.

Framing Capture.JPG

Yes, the same room.

Ok, just making sure I wasn't doing something wrong. It's kind of disappointing that it doesn't do it automatically. I want to dimension the exact wall height correctly to assist in a relatively complex framing situation.

24 minutes ago, solver said:

What's preventing you from doing so?

I would have to calculate the required increase in the top of the wall plate for the proper birdsmouth and adjust the framing. Not a big deal, just its a manual thing that I could mess up, or forget to do. If I dimensioned the wall as it is, when they put the rafters on, it would misalign with the rest of the roof.