Automatic Deck Framing Isn't Working

MikeJG

For some reason I can't get chief to generate the deck framing in this plan.

I have 'Automatically regenerate deck framing' checked in both the deck room default and each of the decks I have drawn and it just doesn't do it.

I've compared settings from other plans where this function works and it seems as though all of the settings are the same.

I'm sure I'm missing something simple, but it's driving me crazy.

Any help would be appreciated.  The plan is attached.

Thanks!

Bucello RR 111314.plan

Thanks for the response.

I didn't know I couldn't do a deck on floor 0.  I put it there because the railing needs to go under the cantilever and that seemed to be the cleanest way to do it.

Although I also have a deck in the rear on floor 1 and the framing isn't working for that one either.

You also need to change the materials for your deck structure to fir framing or something similar.

If you have SSA, you should watch the split level home videos to give you a better idea on how you might go about setting up your floor elevations.

Mike:

Open a new plan; create a 4-walled house; draw a deck on one wall of the house and make sure it is labeled a deck in the General tab; build a standard OTB foundation; go back to floor 1 and select your deck room and build the deck framing via the deck framing tool in the edit toolbar; go down to floor 0 and with your framing layer set active, do you see any deck floor framing?  Make sure all the deck floor framing layer is checked for display.  What do you see?

Mike:

I did see where you don't get deck framing on floor 1 either.  That is why I asked you to do the simple experiment in a new plan.  I can't get deck framing on floor 1 either although I expected to be able to.  Definitely something weird with your plan.  Seem like you plan materials are messed up somehow.  I am wondering if your X6 is corrupt somehow???

Mike:

Open a new plan; create a 4-walled house; draw a deck on one wall of the house and make sure it is labeled a deck in the General tab; build a standard OTB foundation; go back to floor 1 and select your deck room and build the deck framing via the deck framing tool in the edit toolbar; go down to floor 0 and with your framing layer set active, do you see any deck floor framing?  Make sure all the deck floor framing layer is checked for display.  What do you see?

Thanks again.  

I did everything you said and nothing happens when I hit the deck framing tool.  All framing layers are displayed.

Do you think my profile is corrupt?

The deck framing works fine on plans drawn with someone else's profile.

Mike:

Yes, I think something is corrupt.  Not sure what for sure.  If you have SSA, I would send it in to Tech Support and see what they say.  I am beginning to think your X6 is corrupt.

One other thing you could try is to open one of Chief's many sample plans and try to build a deck off of one of the floor 1 walls and see what happens.  If you can't get a deck with the floor framed on floor 0, then definitely send it in to TS.

To get a Chief sample plan, go to your Chief Architect Premier X6 Data folder > Templates and pick any one of the many plans there and try the deck experiment again.

Good luck.

Mike:

In the meantime, I would try changing your profile plan to the Chief Profile.plan from the same location as the sample plans and do that simple exercise one more time.  If it works OK, then I would definitely get rid of that profile plan and start setting up a new one.  Make sure you rename the OTB profile plan and save in Preferences.  That sure beats having to re-install Chief.