Please Help With Floor And Roof And Window Heights

4hotshoez

I thought I knew what I was doing, but I messed up, so I am looking for advice on the proper way to edit.

I wanted the roof over the garage doors to have the bottom soffit to match the ceiling of the first floor, so I selected the "room" or sliver of space in front of the garage doors and changed the room structure height. Then going to the 3D view I saw the windows move up while the second floor roof stayed in place. I do not want either to move. I am not sure what else I messed up trying to fix what I thought was a simple problem.

The first floor clg should be 9'-6". The second floor clg should be 8'-0.

But if you look at the second floor from the inside, the roof sets low and can be seen inside. Not what I want.

I did see a second floor window sitting lower than the rest, which I do not want either.

I hope there is an easy fix and some simple advice to avoid this problem next time.

Thanks

HarrisonGarage01.plan

Using room ceiling heights to change your roof only works if you have Auto-Rebuild roofs turned on, or if you go into your Build Roof Dialogue and select "Build Roof" each time you make a change. But in this instance, you'd probably want to open the roof planes themselves to move them up or down, since you have set ceiling heights within the plan.

There is a relatively easy fix- you need to open up the main room on the second floor, and make sure everything in your Structure panel is set to "Default"- in other words, check all the Default boxes. You'll see the windows go back to normal and the ceiling will no longer be so high that it hits the roof. Then if you still need to make adjustments to the roof, open the roof planes themselves to edit their location, not the room ceiling heights.

I basically did what Kay described: set your flr defaults & got your rooms at those defaults, raised your 2nd flr roof planes, used a drop clg over the garage doors. That window that was too low was in the Open Below room. I have that trouble too when the "floor" for Open Below drops to the clg hgt below. It's always when an Open Below room is on an outside wall. Wish I knew how to deal w/ that correctly.

HarrisonGarage02.plan