Hotkeys: New Copy of Existing Wall To New Exact Location

stevenyhof

There are a number of options to copy and paste an existing wall to a new location. Some require a popup where you enter info, or just Ctrl+V and click into the plan and drag to some known place, and then drag, click Tab and add the distance. 

Then I found a nice command called Copy/Paste which makes a copy of the wall and waits for you to pick its location. To make an accurate "offset" from the wall you are copying, click the Move grip on the highlighted wall and drag in the direction you want and click the Tab key. Then enter the Distance you want and hit Enter or the OK button. 

In ADT you would make a copy, pick its start point with the grip and drag in the direction you wanted and add the dimension. This makes it very easy and fast to lay out accurate wall locations.

I set up a Hotkey with Alt+C for this command

1. Select the wall
  2. Enter Alt+C
  3. Select the move grip and drag in the direction where you want the new wall to be added
  4. Hit the Tab key
  5. Enter the Distance and Enter key or OK

cp.jpg

1 hour ago, parkwest said:

Would draw wall, then editing dimensions not work?

Yes as I have noted in other ways to do this.

I'm just saying that if you want a new wall copied from an existing known wall location and type, then your new copied wall can be located correctly in one operation vs two or more.

I love how it works as it is very close to ADT - so maybe that is me, but my understanding is that many new Chief users are coming from ADT.

When I first started using Chief... my biggest issue was trying to get Chief to work the way I wanted it to.  

Life became easier when I decided to just do it Chief's way and use the problem how it was designed to work.

It will hopefully cut down on your learning curve...

3 hours ago, parkwest said:

When I first started using Chief... my biggest issue was trying to get Chief to work the way I wanted it to.  

Life became easier when I decided to just do it Chief's way and use the problem how it was designed to work.

It will hopefully cut down on your learning curve...

Amen....stop banging your head against the wall or trying to make this program like the program you left.

Seems I have touched some nerves!

I agree with you guys and have adapted very well to learning Chiefs ways of doing things. In fact I have been very impressed with many aspects of how the relationships all work.

This forum is called "Tips & Techniques"  - so I thought I would offer a tip in how to place walls accurately without placing a wall anywhere and then having to move it into its place - via the dimensions - per user manual. Yet, both processes work and are offered within Chief.

Chief is the first system I used where the tutorial tells the user to build your walls by just placing them on the screen with little attention to being accurate. Then (second process) select them one by one and change the dimensions - work your way around the plan - this works - go for it. Just because they teach this process does not mean there isn”t another way that is equally fitting. I have taken advantage of the Tab key and enter my exact distances I want. I know the walls are all placed accurately on the screen to start with. Is there harm in this if it does not fit the "way" things are taught?

I'm really not someone who likes to resist, I just do not like to conform if there is another way that I find works better for me - and may work better for others... Thus a tip!

I resisted Chief at first because it didn't fit my paradigm of how CAD should operate. But the more I get into Chief the more impressed I am with how things work and my paradigm has shifted a great deal! I am learning just how limited ADT really is and that Chiefs relationships are amazing! Nevertheless, That does not mean my almost 40 years working with CAD and with their programming languages, from 2D DOS AutoACAD, to ADT, that I have not learned and appreciated the minds behind these software's.

Honestly, I feel attacked by you fellows who seem to want me to be open minded to new ways of understanding software by forcing me to conform to a strict "way" to operate within Chief. 

Thank you for your understanding.