full length studs at ends of headers (KING STUDS)

I would like to be able to automatically control the number of full length studs, (king studs) at the ends of headers in

the same way as we now can control the number of trimmers, (jack studs).

The 2015 IRC table 602.7.5 has new requirements regarding the amount of full length studs needed at each end

of an opening. As an example a 16' garage door now requires 6 king studs at each side of the door opening.

I have attached the IRC commentary regarding this change to this posting and the new code section is shown below.

"R602.7.5 Supports for headers. Headers shall be supported on each end with one or more jack studs or with approved framing anchors in accordance with Table R602.7(1) or R602.7(2). The full-height stud adjacent to each end of the header shall be end nailed to each end of the header with four-16d nails (3.5 inches × 0.135 inches). The minimum number of full-height studs at each end of a header shall be in accordance with Table R602.7.5."

R602.7.pdf

It would be appropriate for these requirements to be available in the Framing Defaults.  ie: User specified with an OOB default matching Table R602.7.5

Note that for energy purposes the studs are often 2x6 or greater so the actual structural need may be less than what Table R602.7.5 specifies.  I do my own structural engineering to determine what is needed for wind loads as well as gravity loads.  Depending on the location of the header vertically vs the height of the wall that can vary dramatically. 

Also, when using Simpson Strong Walls that Table isn't appropriate so even if CA adds the requirements to the Framing Defaults they should be able to be over-ridden.