How to dimension beveled studs

bradATX

When drawing a rake wall, the ends of the studs are beveled. Is it possible to measure to the edge of the cut? I've checked Sides and Centers in Dimension Defaults, but I can't seem to get a "snap" point on the edge. (See attached image)

I'm using CA X10, if it makes any difference.

Screen Shot 2018-12-20 at 9.44.45 AM.png

To be honest though, I've never dimensioned stud lengths, I leave it up to the framing crew to figure out.  A wall with a raked top plate like this is usually built very carefully.  I usually see the crew lay out the wall perimeter on the floor deck, lay down plates, and then measure and cut all studs to length.  But this all depends on how much information you are willling to provide and be responsible for.  A designer in his 60's told me the other day "don't draw anything you don't want to control, or that isn't necessary to get your permit."

59 minutes ago, solver said:

Experiment with CAD Detail From View. You will be able to dimension to any point, but will need to copy the dimensions back to your elevation.

That did it - thanks!

59 minutes ago, KervinHomeDesign said:

You may need to add a marker or cad line over top of the stud to give the dimension something to grab.  This needs to be fixed for sure.

A CAD line following the bottom of the top plate wasn't enough. I had to draw lines for each stud, which was way too much work.

58 minutes ago, KervinHomeDesign said:

To be honest though, I've never dimensioned stud lengths, I leave it up to the framing crew to figure out.  A wall with a raked top plate like this is usually built very carefully.  I usually see the crew lay out the wall perimeter on the floor deck, lay down plates, and then measure and cut all studs to length.  But this all depends on how much information you are willling to provide and be responsible for.  A designer in his 60's told me the other day "don't draw anything you don't want to control, or that isn't necessary to get your permit."

Yeah, these will have to be cut to fit, but it bothered me that I couldn't figure out how to dimension them.