Is there a way to import Revit/AutoCAD Templates/Layer Sets?

Hi there!  I have been searching for a bit, and attempted a few things to no avail.  Anyone have a step by step tutorial (or is it just not possible?) on how to at the very least import an existing title block from Revit or CAD to Chief?  I am far from proficient in Chief at this point and wondering if it's possible.   We want to make sure the title block matches our Revit sheets exactly...in case we have to draw something in one program vs. another in the same CD set.

I tried exporting to .dwf from Revit and importing into the layout page, however it doesn't allow me to import that file type into the main layout page.

Also, am I blind? I can't figure out where to put my signature...so I just typed info below.

Janea

Rafter P Construction

Cheif ArchitectX10

If you want to import a full layerset, you'll need to create a Revit drawing with at least one entity (can just be a simple line) on each Revit layer. Then import into Chief using the Import Drawing Assistant (File>Import>Import Drawing (DWG, DXF...). As you go through the steps, check all the layers you want imported:

revitimport1.thumb.PNG.eff20db3e7490ec4db52b24c840ecc95.PNG

...and map the layers to Chief Architect layers by name:

revitimport2.thumb.PNG.34ae75f2bdb36b9d938158a9d6c1b0d8.PNG

Then delete all the useless geometry that was imported, and you're left with the layers as they were set up in Revit. Be aware that line weights, line styles, etc. may need adjustment within Chief. You can also massage some of the export settings within the Revit export setup:

revitimport3.thumb.PNG.f44e6170a704a3e070b070af091f8ef7.PNG

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    rrajraji
    Newest Member
    rrajraji

• By AlamoChief
      I am setting up a new computer and have downloaded Chief X12. What is the best way to transfer all my data, libraries and templates? Also how to I load all the bonus content, can it be transferred or do I have to download each library again from Chief website? FYI when I installed Chief it didn't create an X12 data folder so I copied it from my old computer. I also have the downloaded libraries in my download folder so I could copy them and open them one at a time I suppose. I just don't want to have a zillion duplicate files and textures like I have had in the past when migrating upgrades. Thanks  
    • By Ty_Tradeswork
      Hello everyone, thank you for clicking on my post. It's gonna be pretty long, so I appreciate your time and help,

I'm a relatively young independent contractor and graduate engineer. I'm trying to steer my life in a direction that will have me designing and building one-off, small but beautiful homes/cottages for clients, and friends/family.

In terms of the types of design I'm going for, it's stuff like this: https://pin.it/nByfQTl

Modern, highly architectural, often with unusual elements (at least, unusual for residential builds), like slanted walls, display features made of unusual materials, piers keeping the building suspended off the ground, etc. 

I have a background in computer-based design, and am already familiar with parametric CAD modelling programs like SOLIDWORKS. Additionally, I've taken about 35 hours of courses in Revit, and can now easily handle all the basics, and create finished projects for simple buildings. What I've started to notice, however, both first-hand, and from forum discussions, is that Revit really isn't geared towards residential, timber-framed, architectural construction. Just trying to build a timber-framed garden shed involves placing every single stud, joist, and beam 100% manually, with arrays and copy commands and the like. Wood-framing add-ons exist, but are phenomenally expensive ($3200 a year was the quote I got from AGACAD's Wood Framer Pro). And heaven forbid you go to change the length of a wall after...

I know that Revit is the "powerful but cumbersome" program. I know that everything IS possible in it, but sometimes at so high of a time-cost, that it simply isn't worth it.. This has lead me to reconsider if Revit is the best program for me, or if there are programs better suited to the style of buildings I want to make. This search eventually brought me to Chief Architect. Seeing as I've only invested a few dozen hours into Revit, I don't mind pivoting to a totally new program, so long as its a good one.

Now, the reason I'm making this post is because my use-case is a little bit weirder than most, as I will take on all roles related to the design and construction of these buildings: I will be the architect, the interior designer, the framer, the mason, the everything.

I will be building these structures entirely with my own hands, doing everything except for the final MEP hookup and installation. (Whether or not this is a good idea, however, is beyond the scope of this discussion. Please just assume that this is what's going to happen). Because of this, I need to create a model that is more detailed than just a pretty-looking box. I need full section views, I need detailed construction drawings, I need proper framing, because the model-making process is the only opportunity I'll have to actually think through the construction, and ensure that my designs are code-compliant and feasible to build. 

A lot of people have suggested Rhino 3D, or even Sketchup, but, like Solidworks, these are just parametric 3D CAD programs. They just create objects, shapes, volumes. If I wanted to create a stud wall, first I'd have to draw and extrude a panel to represent the drywall.. then I'd have to draw and extrude a single stud, then I'd have to copy that stud in an array. Then I'd have to draw and extrude a top plate and bottom sill, then I'd have to draw and extrude sheathing, then bricks, then mortar, then....and that's all for a single wall. These programs really aren't meant for building construction... These programs also don't have any of the BIM data that I'll need. I can't create door and window schedules in Rhino 3D (to my knowledge), so how will I generate lists of which windows to buy from which manufacturers, at which sizes? I'd have to do it manually.

So then it really comes down to Revit, Chief Architect, ArchiCAD, etc... but I don't have the experience to know which program would be best for me. For the sake of this discussion, assume the price of the base-program is NOT a factor, but, that being said, I don't want to have to buy 28 different Add-ons to get a useable program.

If anyone can shed some personal experience with these programs, it would be hugely useful to me. I've tried to do my due-diligence, I've tried to browse the web and read forums and discussions, and I know the "Is Chief Architect better than ____" topic is worn out, but nothing I've read has addressed my specific use-case, so I'm turning to the community here, looking for help

Any help or discussion is greatly appreciated, thank you all for your time. 
    • By TimelessJohn
      Hi There,
      New to Chief, my question is when creating a solarium or anything else like a timber frame pergola which takes a fair amount of work!
      Would it be best to import as an Template or Create a Layer Set? 

Any advice would be appreciated,
      John
    • By TeamVilla
      Are there cloud services that work together with a software like autocad? I'm searching for a service where I can subscribe to store data (projects) in autocad (or similar), so other professionals can work on the same project via the cloud and the employer can see the progress.
    • By ChiefuserMathews
      Could someone please explain to me how this default set work with saved plan view? I have been watching the videos and reading the help files over and over again last 2 weeks and I am still confused. My issues are follows

1. I have a saved a plan view called "Floor Plan View" and I have a 1/4" scale default set attached to it. with layer set as "Floor Plan Layer Set". Under the selected defaults "Dimensions I have 1/4" scale dimension defaults and I have changed "edit dimension default" (pencil icon) and changed the layer to dimension, floor, Rich Text to text floor etc.

2. Now I want to use the same "1/4" scale default set" for my ceiling plan under the "Saved Plan View" in the project browser. Now when I add a dimension or text to the ceiling plan I get warning "the layer text, floor" is not displayed. do you want to turn on the display of this layer in the current view?" If I say yes it will turn on that layer and what ever I dimension or text i have added on the floor plan will appear in the ceiling plan which I don't want. I know I can change the layer but that defeats the purpose and will be time consuming
      Does that means I can use the 1/4" scale only once? Is that I am doing something wrong? I cannot explain anything better than these. It driving me crazy and confusing.

3. If I use the electrical or NKBA default set how would I know which scale factor is used for the dimension or text style? Or does the layout page adjust dimension text and text according to scale factor?