Sign in to follow this  
JanHalter

Is there a way to import Revit/AutoCAD Templates/Layer Sets?

Hi there!  I have been searching for a bit, and attempted a few things to no avail.  Anyone have a step by step tutorial (or is it just not possible?) on how to at the very least import an existing title block from Revit or CAD to Chief?  I am far from proficient in Chief at this point and wondering if it's possible.   We want to make sure the title block matches our Revit sheets exactly...in case we have to draw something in one program vs. another in the same CD set.

I tried exporting to .dwf from Revit and importing into the layout page, however it doesn't allow me to import that file type into the main layout page.

Also, am I blind? I can't figure out where to put my signature...so I just typed info below.

Janea

Rafter P Construction

Cheif ArchitectX10

You can import DWG or DXF into Chief, so export from Revit using one of those two formats:

revitexport.thumb.PNG.375bc76a59b625b6e3fbc806c1a40821.PNG

If you want to import a full layerset, you'll need to create a Revit drawing with at least one entity (can just be a simple line) on each Revit layer. Then import into Chief using the Import Drawing Assistant (File>Import>Import Drawing (DWG, DXF...). As you go through the steps, check all the layers you want imported:

revitimport1.thumb.PNG.eff20db3e7490ec4db52b24c840ecc95.PNG

...and map the layers to Chief Architect layers by name:

revitimport2.thumb.PNG.34ae75f2bdb36b9d938158a9d6c1b0d8.PNG

Then delete all the useless geometry that was imported, and you're left with the layers as they were set up in Revit. Be aware that line weights, line styles, etc. may need adjustment within Chief. You can also massage some of the export settings within the Revit export setup:

revitimport3.thumb.PNG.f44e6170a704a3e070b070af091f8ef7.PNG

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChiefDallas
    Newest Member
    ChiefDallas

• By KTKArch
      So I just returned from a demonstration of current high tech and its use in the future of home design.
      I must say, Point Clouds from laser scans are the way to go.
      Sure the high end is 1/4 million $ scanners and drones/aircraft. But even a $75K backpack scanner at the right resolution will take a 6-hour site measure and office drafting time down to a 30-minute walkthrough/around and 1 - 2 hours in the office for 3D overlay.
      Can't put out $75K...hire it out and markup 3rd party's price for the walkthrough. You not only get the building but the topography as well. Fences, trees, and neighboring buildings will get picked up. Great for landscaping and the all-important tree schedule. You will be able to simply measure tree trunks at whatever height the local jurisdiction requires from the comfort of your desk.
      If you find any boundary markers. Put a recognizable 3D item over them to locate them in the point cloud. Want to verify the scale of the point cloud? Measure one or more items that you can verify later and scale as needed. Better resolutions reduce and eliminate this but dramatically increase your file size.
      So a good scan will be within a 1/2" of accuracy and you know those pesky double-thick interior walls you can't get to? Or that one that goes off at an angle or stairs that follow a curving wall. No guessing the radius or if there are multiple slopes on the roof. Its all in the point cloud at less than half the time and cost of hand measuring.
      Still can't 'see' it? Watch when the countertop installer measures up the next kitchen with one. The countertop fits like a glove after a simple scan is fed into the CNC machine. If the countertop installer can make it work we can too. 

So Chief Architect, when are you going to simplify importing point clouds into CA?
    • By Tdgdesign
      Hi
      I have doen all of my cross sections and details in AutoCAD and am trying tgo import into Chief. Everything comes across great except for my text formatting - if I dont explode my text in CAD prior Chief doesn't see it at all and by exploding it I loose all my formatting. There is ALOT of text to deal with. Anyone here know of a workaround for this? Thanks!
    • By LeeDrafter
      Hello,
      I am having an issue with layer sets for elevation views not showing correctly on layout. I am trying to accomplish a one page layout with live (color) views of different versions on one elevation. I want four versions of the same elevation on one page.

I made layers for window shutters and corbels. For the default elevation layer set "section view set" I turned on shutters. Then I made a new layer set, a copy of "section view set" but renamed it "Elev B-Corbels" and turned off the shutters and turned corbels on. I sent two elevations to layout, one from each layer set. 

Then I saved the same plan as a new name to change the gable siding to shakes. (I don't think this can be done just by using layers, but if so please let me know). I made a new layer set called "Elev C-shakes" just for clarity even though a new layer is not needed because it is a totally new file. I turned off corbels and shutters and changed the gable siding to shakes.

I saved a new plan for the stone option similar to what I did for the shakes option.

The layout views don't seem to be keeping there association. For example, when I work on the original file on the "Elev B-corbels" layer, it changes the layout view for the "section view set" layer. And when I work on the separate files for the stone, it updates all the layout views as if they were all linked to that file.

Another problem is even if the layout looks good on Chief, when I print to pdf, it has different layout views. 

Is this a problem with having multiple files sent to the same layout? They are all saved in the same folder. Or is it a problem with making new layer sets for elevation views or using live views instead of plot line views?

Thanks for your help.

layout.zip
      original plan, 2 elevation layer sets.zip
      shakes plan.zip
      stone plan.zip

what prints.pdf
    • By 152431
      Another question here:

Am I able to change the layer sets on just the layout pages or do I have to send a bunch of different renderings of the same plan with different layer settings?  
    • By nVisionTEKBIM
      Hi everyone! I'm new to ChiefTalk, and just joined because I want to put my foot in the door to possibly move away from Revit to CA in the future. I'd like those that have (or have had) expert level experience with Revit to compare using Revit to Chief Architect for mainly residential projects.

I am a Revit expert with previous commercial experience for previous employers, but my preference and bread-and-butter is high-end residential. I have a business that offers BIM services (renderings, 3D modeling, drafting, ect.) and have current clients that I need to use Revit with. Revit is very powerful, but it is obvious that it's geared more towards commercial rather than residential. I have spent hours and hours creating and continuously modifying my families (i.e. doors, windows, vanities, ect.). Plus, everything takes way too long! CA seems to have all the beautiful content already available, and the videos make it seem so easy to place and modify.

A couple of my clients may be able to be convinced that CA is better. They are builders that view the model for constructability and want the documentation to be superb, as well as have weekly client meetings that I attend in which I have to to tweaks per client requests (which is so difficult with Revit!). I am very good at creating detailed plans and 3D modeling, with many compliments. 

So, if you have or previous had expert Revit experience, please tell me your thoughts of CA if you switched or use both. I'm really curious! I have very very limited time, so I'd only want to try the trial if it's worth my time. Also, since you can't save in the trial, I feel if I liked it a bit I would end up renting the software to practice more. Too bad the student version is not available to anyone like Autodesk does.