Deck Problem

MCassady

I'm having some trouble creating a deck on the back of this house. I want the deck to be sitting on a concrete slab rather than the default round concrete footings. When I draw the deck on the back, only the railing generates; however, the actual deck framing generates whenever I draw the deck somewhere else on the plan. I compared settings for both decks and everything looks consistent except the deck on the back has footings unchecked. Redrawing with the footings checked doesn't seem to be solving the problem. Refer to the picture and plan attached to see what I'm talking about. This is on X10.

Capture.PNG

You don't have a proper Brick Foundation built, you have just dragged the 1st floors walls down to the Terrain , which is never a good idea....

But the main issue seems to be you are trying to build a deck off a Porch.....ie the Florida Room uses the Porch designation.....try changing it to a Court for example and the Deck builds, there maybe a better Room designation to use though?

image.thumb.png.766c416ac92a923eedcb48d90c13d7ec.png

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

You don't have a proper Brick Foundation built, you have just dragged the 1st floors walls down to the Terrain , which is never a good idea....

But the main issue seems to be you are trying to build a deck off a Porch.....ie the Florida Room uses the Porch designation.....try changing it to a Court for example and the Deck builds, there maybe a better Room designation to use though?

image.thumb.png.766c416ac92a923eedcb48d90c13d7ec.png

I was just driving and thinking to myself "I wonder if it's because of the foundation..." I appreciate you clearing that up for me. I'll refrain from dragging the brick down from now on. I didn't realize that the Florida Room was using the Porch designation. The lot that I originally drew this plan for is flat so the Florida Room was originally a screened porch. I must have accidentally kept the Porch designation when I changed it to a Florida Room. Thanks again for your help.

I hope you weren't driving and typing a reply ! :)

CA has a bad Habit of "remembering" Room designations, ie delete a wall and the room is gone , but redraw a Wall and it instantly becomes the Room type again instead of resetting to Unspecified, ( easily done if your Proposed Design started as a Save As of the As Built Plan) so something to Check during remodels, as it can effect a number of things.

It should rarely ever be that a wall needs dragging up or down in 3D or Elevation , it is usually a sign that something is "amiss" with the Plan, not that CA gets it right 100% of the time especially on complicated multi-storey houses.

M.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I hope you weren't driving and typing a reply ! :)

CA has a bad Habit of "remembering" Room designations, ie delete a wall and the room is gone , but redraw a Wall and it instantly becomes the Room type again instead of resetting to Unspecified, ( easily done if your Proposed Design started as a Save As of the As Built Plan) so something to Check during remodels, as it can effect a number of things.

It should rarely ever be that a wall needs dragging up or down in 3D or Elevation , it is usually a sign that something is "amiss" with the Plan, not that CA gets it right 100% of the time especially on complicated multi-storey houses.

M.

Don't worry, I wasn't driving when I typed that! I'll be sure to remember that CA won't reset the room designation! That explains some problems I've had in the past. Unfortunately, foundations have always given me the most trouble in CA. I've watched quite a few videos that have been helpful, but it seems like I can never get CA to make the plan/3D rendering look the way I want it. I'm sure more practice will change that, however. I appreciate you helping me out with this. It taught me a lot and I won't make these same mistakes in the future.