MN_JohnH

Stairwell opening issue

Here is an interesting issue, (at least for me)... I drew this stairway and created the stair well but when I go to a camera view, the wall comes in at the floor level. The basement is 11" thick ICF and the main level is 2x6 so in real life there is a lip on top of the ICF wall going back to the thickness of the 2x6 wall. I can't figure out why when I draw it like this the lip actually comes in at the framing level of the main floor. When I look at a cross section it actually looks like a section of the ICF wall is slid into the stairwell at that level.

The floor trusses are 22". I have attached a picture of the project, I am already well underway with this, I am just trying to make some as built drawings so I can work on interior design stuff.

I can probably make due with it as it is but I am just wondering if anyone wants to try and figure out what I am ,missing here.

Thanks,

Stairwell issue.plan

stairwell issue.JPG

10-2-18 (3).jpg

Those are pony walls. 

ct1.thumb.jpg.92886aa9eaedaf868ab763cc02ea5291.jpg

They do not align around the foundation.

ct2.thumb.jpg.75aca0fe370d1826f857a73f120a496c.jpg

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    RainaHinteriors
    Newest Member
    RainaHinteriors

• By MichaelJerome
      I have updated my defaults to allow for a 14" floor truss between the two floors. All the dimensions show in the default setting DBX accurately but when they are commanded to reset to defaults the first floor adds 2" to the ceiling height but does not create the 14" space for the floor trusses. Let me know if someone sees something I missed.
      Thanks,
      Megale Center Plan 2.7.20.zip

• By decorators3
      Hi

I'm designing a 3 level home.. the main level stairs I want to use are  L shaped from 1st to second.  .I have attached PDF cross section of how I want the stairs to function.. and PDF of first floor showing no stairwell to basement..  I want to place a straight railing on first floor across stairwell as well as stair railing descending ( which is in place).

I also need to be able to come in from the mud room from the garage on the fist floor.. so thinking I need steeper stairs to basement but not sure how to change the heights etc.

Any suggestions are welcome.  I have watched the videos and I know you have to start from the bottom and work your way up but not sure how to get the look I want.

Thanks
      Levina

cross section stairs PDF.pdf
      cross section PDF stairs.pdf
      first floor view.pdf
    • By MichaelJerome
      I have asked this question on Facebook’s Chief Architect page and no one can figure out or help with what I am seeing. I can’t adjust the knee wall height unless I click and drag each piece of lumber individually. I did this once and then rebuilt framing for another wall and it rebuilt this to what you see in the image. I also had all the ceilings correct and then found them separated from the floor trusses today and the floor/ceiling heights are off. I tried the Edit>Reset to Defaults and that didn’t adjust them. I am not sure what is going on but I am definitely not intentionally doing this. I found it like the images below as I am placing everything into the layout pages and several areas are messed up. Any ideas?

• By DRyeHD
      I've been learning CA for about a month and have some challenges on a plan that I cannot figure out.  I have attached a perspective with color markups and the plan.  I would appreciate some input on how to fix these items.
      1. Red: The 2nd floor system is 14" trusses.  I cannot figure out how to fill the two indicated areas.
      2. Blue: I cannot figure out how to get rid of the stair rail against the wall without losing some of the wall behind.
      3. Green: I cannot figure out how to put a cap on this half wall; also there is no ceiling drywall directly above it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Rye_Home.plan
    • By 151520296338797
      Just converting to Chief Arch from Auto Cad and struggling with wall heights. Footings 24" x 8" basement  walls are ICF 13" wide 9' tall with 24" open bar joist which make the ceiling height 11' to with a 4" concrete cap. Upper level walls are ICF 9" wide with a ceiling height of 10' with vaulted ceiling on family room/kitchen that carries out over the covered deck.
       https://www.dropbox.com/s/cysm4fuenqit93b/Untitled 3.plan?dl=0