Adding Wall Layer After Designing Wall Layout

kevbotes

Hello all,

I am very new to the Chief Architect software, i have watched many of the online videos and have learnt a great deal from them. i have one small issue that i cannot seem to find anywhere.

If i have designed a plan with a wall type (in my case, double brick wide with a total width of 220mm) how can i add a plaster layer after the design phase. I know this should have been done when setting up the wall, but i didn't at the time.

is it possble to do this after the desing, if so, how ?

Cheers,

Kevin

Sure it's possible after the design. There are several approaches but the easiest might be to just create a new wall type of the one you want to alter. You'll have to insert a new layer>change the thickness>add the material> change the pattern. Check the other layers also because when you add a layer, the materials will change around the new layer. After adding the new layer, your wall is now thicker right? This means that your dimensioning will change either on the inside or outside. What you need to do is open the "Qlt-Q" (wall default) and change if needed where the new wall will "resize about" in the plan. By default it will be set to the outside main layer. If you need to have the inside dimensions remain the same, you might want to resize about the inside surface (or inside main layer depending on where the new layer is placed). You'll need to go around and select the existing walls to be changed, and make them the new wall type.

BTW, what I generally do to create a new wall type is to select the wall type you want to change> copy it> rename and then add the layers to alter the wall type. This is faster than making a new wall type from scratch. Be sure you click okay after you make the new wall type or it will not save.

A note about changing the Alt-Q. After changing this, you'll notice that when you select a wall, the move handle will be where your Alt-Q is set. I always set the Alt-Q back to the default setting of outside main layer after I have changed the wall types in the plan.