Master plans

Lee66cj5

I have a general question about how everyone does master plans in CA. I have approximately 85 house plans that I am converting from AutoCAD to CA. Each plan has and average of 6 different front elevations and 6-12 standard options. I want to use CA to incorporate all of these options into a master plan for the house. I did this 2 ways in AutoCAD, either making blocks of the standard and optional parts that are on different layers and turning on/off as needed or pulling a partial off to the side with the changes. Which way works best in CA, or is there a more efficient way? I also need the master plan to create flyers of all the options for marketing so It would be best to have the options in one file.

I am  just starting on the conversions so I want to make the right setup now rather than figuring out half way through there is a better way.

Thanks for your help!

Lee

I think you'll find that Chief isn't very well suited to handling multiple structural options in the same plan file and that you'll want to do a Save As and create another plan for most of your options (6 plans for 6 different front elevations).  If the options are non-structural  (cabinetry, flooring, wall coverings, color schemes, fixture placement, etc.) then you can place the objects onto different layers and turn them on and off as necessary in many cases, but if the options include walls, roof planes, doors, windows, etc. then you're better off using multiple plan files.