Sign in to follow this  
DragonCowboy011

Addition / Remodel - Two wall types in same space??

I'm a new CA user and I'm attempting to draw plans for an addition. I have an exterior stucco wall with two windows and a door. After the remodel, this exterior wall will become and interior wall, and the windows and door will be removed. In this new INTERIOR wall there will be a new 6' opening that will occupy the same space as one of the previous windows and door.

The problem I'm having is creating a drawing for the building department that shows both floor plan layouts, with both the new and existing floor plans. As soon as I update the window type, or the window/door space, it changes all the drawings that I've created.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Create your as built.

Copy it and make changes.

Add info from both to your Layout,

Basically.....

1. Save your As built drawing as "plan-name_As-Built"   
  2. immediately re-save it as "plan-name_Proposed_1"        
  3. now Draw up then Addition / Reno Changes on this plan......
  4. Once done click "Send to layout" , say yes to creating a layout if needed ... it will be named as plan-name_Proposed_1.layout   automatically 
  5.  Send the Plan view to whichever page in your layout you use for Proposed Drawings eg page 10 , while in the Layout move to the page you want the As-Built Plan on eg. page 5  so when we send the next page it will automatically pick that page next , in this case page 5.
  6. Now Re-Open the As-Built Plan (Recent Files List) , and again choose send to layout . Because the Proposed Layout is already Open, and only one Layout can be open at a time the As-Built Drawing will use it too without asking, the DBX should have Page 5 from above already selected , so just click OK .    

M.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mmebsc
    Newest Member
    mmebsc

• By hamedDesighn
      How to fix wall length Or lock the wall dimention so they don't change .
      i would be thankful if somebody help .

• By TCDLLC
      Hi, I am a Revit user converting to Chief. 
      When working with angled walls in Chief, I have not been able to lock a wall from moving when changing dimensions on connecting walls. 
      I am familiar with how to use the directional tools to move an end of an object to adjust its dimensions.
      When angled walls are off-angle, I can waste significant time adjusting the lengths of the angled walls and still not achieve the dimensions I need for all connecting walls.

The use case scenario is when I am drafting a plan using dimensions provided to me to create the build.  
      Of course, if I was creating a plan from scratch, I could probably avoid this situation.  

Any suggestions?
    • By RichM1
      Summary: We're creating a vaulted tray ceiling in a house that started as a double-wide mobile home. I want to model the existing "trusses" so that I can figure out how to do the rafters to frame out the new ceiling. I cannot figure out how to do this though. 

Details: 
      This house started out as a double-wide mobile home. It's been remodeled several times, huge portions added, walls rebuilt in places, rooms moved, walls removed. But the roof structure through the middle of the house is a 2.5/12 pitch, framed as follows: 2x2 rafter, 2x2 joist, 16" OC, with 12" pieces of 1/4" paneling used as gussets every 12". The tall wall has 1/2" plywood as a ridge beam.  I attached a drawing that shows each side. 

I tried changing the rafter and joist settings to 1.5" x 1.5", but it insists on building roof framing with 6" rafters floating above the walls, and framing the tall wall with studs that are in the room wall below. 

I tried to manually draw the framing in like the CAD detail drawing I attached, but I can't figure out how to rotate the 2x2 rafter to the 2.5/12 pitch angle. I figured I'd draw one "truss" manually, and then replicate/copy it across every 16". But after about 6 hours (admittedly I'm new to this app) I still couldn't figure it out. 

I put both sides together, and added the 2x6 rafters and 2x4 cross brace. Then we plan to cut the trusses back flush with the rafters and brace. The wall will be coming out of the middle. There's no code here, unincorporated county, so no building inspection to send this through.

Is there a way I can take this CAD drawing and use it for the actual rafters - extrude the 2D shapes into 3D? 

• By kylejmarsh
      Though I always council my clients to match their interior wall finishes to their soffits, sometimes I find they are resistant to the idea and want to use two different materials for these items.

However, I only have the option to change the default for the two together:

Is there a way to create a new material default, or to separate these? I guess it's not a big deal but I always wondered if there was some deeper insight that I was just not picking up on... perhaps some Chiefer out there can enlighten me?
    • By MichaelaS
      The wall shown is on the same plane with a false gable roof above only a portion. The wall from the interior will reflect the same ceiling height as the rest of the home, but from the front elevation I would like the wall to be taller to move my gable up. How can this be done in CA as the wall heights are dictated by the room's ceiling height?