Making a light out of a non-light PLUS LEDs

jlcDesign

Since these two questions are tangentially related, I'll put them both here.  First, is it possible to make a part of a non-light symbol emit light in raytrace?  Specifically, I'd like to make the flames of my candles glow in raytrace, preferably without having to do the whole "light source" thing.  Might be impossible.  Also, does anyone have a good lead on a LED under-cabinet strip symbol?  I'd buy it in a heartbeat.  I've been taking the stupid fluorescent bar and trying to shrink it to hide under the cabs to no avail.

19 minutes ago, jlcDesign said:

Since these two questions are tangentially related, I'll put them both here.  First, is it possible to make a part of a non-light symbol emit light in raytrace?  Specifically, I'd like to make the flames of my candles glow in raytrace, preferably without having to do the whole "light source" thing.  Might be impossible.  Also, does anyone have a good lead on a LED under-cabinet strip symbol?  I'd buy it in a heartbeat.  I've been taking the stupid fluorescent bar and trying to shrink it to hide under the cabs to no avail.

for your first question, under material properties for your candle's material, just turn emissivity up(general material type)

1 hour ago, Renerabbitt said:

for your first question, under material properties for your candle's material, just turn emissivity up(general material type)

Fair enough, Renerabbitt, but that won't produce light in a raytrace (right?).

10 hours ago, jlcDesign said:

Fair enough, Renerabbitt, but that won't produce light in a raytrace (right?).

it will look as if the bulb is on but not cast any light, and in my personal opinion, is easier to create this particular light effect in post production opposed to inside CA