Sign in to follow this  
Tony_D96

Screened in Porch

I've been racking my brain trying to figure out how you would draw a screened in deck with windows or an EZ Breeze type setup. Would that involve making a custom window of some sort? And if so I'm not sure how you would place that since decks don't have "walls" per-se. Anyhow, if you guys have any ideas or suggestions that would be great. 

If you're only concerned about making the EZE-Breeze system appear correct, then either make a custom window, or just fake it (what I do) with muntins. If you're going for a timber post & beam look, you can use a wall with a single main layer and windows with a sash/no frame to simulate a field-framed or Screen Tight style screened panel:

porch.thumb.PNG.1b4a32bde4059e405d2456ac94c78ac7.PNG

The disadvantage is you can't show the timber joinery and wood grain accurately, but if the posts/beams will be painted it works fine.

I've also used railings with panel infill successfully - there is no single method that is suitable for every situation.

That's basically what I'm doing. I was able to create some custom windows using the instructions in Solver's link. First I made them hopper style windows to mimick the EZE-Breeze units. Then all I had to do was adjust the casing (we usually trim them out with Azek) and the sashes and frames like you said. In the end I think it turned out alot better than I expected! Thanks for the advice. 

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    MarkMMV
    Newest Member
    MarkMMV

• By BusinessBuilder
      MG Construction & Decks is looking to hire an architect or construction designer for exterior remodeling. We are running a contest to hire one talented individual to join our team. We want this competition to be fair. Selecting a winner is simple, we will submit everyone’s work to our Instagram account, whoever gets the most likes on their design will win $1,000 and an internship to work for us part time or full time (depending on the quality of ongoing work). The winner will be able to work remotely and/or have an opportunity to come work at our Los Angeles office.
      CONTENDERS – WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
      We are providing limited information for the contest itself because we want to see how creative you can be.
      Create a 3D design that fits the following backyard image and email us (Email Subject: Contest Submission – Your Name) by clicking here.
      CLOSING DATE & ANNOUNCEMENTS
      All submissions must be submitted by February 15th and the winner will be announced Febuary 15th on our Instagram account.
      MG Construction & Decks is located in Los Angeles, California and specializes in exterior remodeling, interior remodeling and Deck Building.

https://mgcdecks.com/deckbuilding/2019-exterior-outdoor-deck-design-competition/
    • By blueriver
      I have a persistent problem with gaps in my porch ceilings in between the finished surface and the underside of the roof structure.  I know it has to be a setting i have wrong but i cannot figure it out! Current project is a barndominium with a gable porch. 
      Thanks in advance

• By ChiefArchitect
      An enclosed porch can be a welcome reprieve from the blazing sun in the summer months, and provide a protected cove during cooler times.
    • By joeyp42690
      Wanting to do this on a wrap around porch. But don’t know how to get the rafters to be seen.I turned the ceiling off and just shows plywood on the underside.

• By Lorenchief
      Does anyone have direction on where to look in creating a covered screened in porch above a flat roof garage? The garage proposed is a 2 car and client wants the porch to be half the roof above and the other half deck over the second further car from house. The entry into the covered porch is off the DR of the floor above. It's a split level home and elevation drops off in back enough to get the cars under the proposed porch/deck. I tried by creating piers in the garage and a beam to rest the gable end of the porch on between the cars below.  I then built exterior walls and thought I'd introduce multiple Combination Screen Dooor company's doors as fixed panels. Of course they don't have an object I can use, nor are there any screen doors. I thought I'd place a two panel door and replace the panels with screen, but again no screen material in library. Any thoughts to this goal or shedding light on the obvious would be much appreciated.
      Thanks.