Beaded chamfers for cabinet frames

MarkMc

Attached is a plan with some symbols to make beaded chamfers on the side of cabinet frames, includes a few samples using them on cabinets. Included a few side panels if you don't want to go through the trouble of configuring a cabinet. I make no promise about label accuracy.

These were made for inset cabinets where they are most common. I rarely see these done nowadays but needed them for a current job so here ya go.

Just a note- finally figured when doing cabinet face configuring life is much simpler starting with a blank cabinet so I added one of each type to my library as "Blank Base,..."

Added two bevel chamfers-attached both types as library (beaded ones are in the plan also)

• 2 years later...

Hi Mark,

How did you modify the cabinets to have a true beaded frame? Thank you for supplying the various configurations for all of our use, but I am curious as to how you came to the true bead on the cabinet frame itself.

Thanks

2 hours ago, PamelaT said:

How did you modify the cabinets to have a true beaded frame?

The beads are door symbols that started out as 3D molding lines though they could more easily be started as molding lines and rotated when converting to a symbol. The chamfers are also door symbols  but those where made using solids, polyline solids and boolean operations (subtraction, union mostly). Those symbols are always used as "side panel inset" in varying configurations. The symbols are included so you can not only use them but "OPEN SYMBOL" and examine all of the settings to get an understanding of what they are doing for the symbols placement and sizing. Overall a worthwhile learning exercise IMO.

There is also a set of beaded cabinets elsewhere on the forum. I use two types- one for brands where you  order the cabinet at it's final width and specify the opening sizes; the other for the more common situation where you order individual cabinets ad line items and ask that they be combined and call out the final overall width. In the case of the latter the ones I made are meant to overalp one another and still look correct. I don't remember if I  included both. You only need the second type if you are using a schedule to create a cabinet order. In both cases they are a bit problematic to dimension if you need to use cad detail from view to make drawings for submission since there are so many extra lines involved.

Beaded inset cabinets

There should be enough in the libraries supplied that you can do whatever you need to with what is there. You will need to open the cabinet DBX to get an understanding of what is used where. Overall the cabinets can be configured using split-either horizontal or vertical -on a regular door or drawer item. They will also  accept change to the default door/drawer without affecting the beading.

In short everything you need to work with these is supplied along with some useful things to learn from, albeit the hard way. I've been a little surprised over the years how little interest they have gotten. Recently someone suggested Chief include a way to just click and make this happen. I don't think they realize how complicated that could be (and how little interest has been in these despite the fact that even doing what I've done is not possible in competing kitchen software last I knew) I suppose if CA ever asked I'd do a video but other than that I simply dislike videos and think in the long run you learn more working for it.

Good luck with it. If AFTER you have tried to work with them for a while and have SPECIFIC questions or problems post over in the QA section and we'll help you out.

Hi Mark, Thanks for your reply. You had mentioned in another post that you formally worked with Wood Mode.... ordering in their format was easy,  a code was all that was needed and  popping on a beaded door worked to simulate the "frame/stile bead to the customers satisfaction, in layout and views. We work with various other vendors that go straight off elevations to generate production, this requires straight Cad drawings to provide the required detail for their shops. More work for us. :-(

Thanks for making all the configurations available! They will be very helpful.... along with extensive notion of profile, sticking dimensions etc.

I think a Video is a brilliant idea!

Just an FYI to all out there Wood Mode should be up and running in the next week or two.

Hi Mark is there anyway to switch out the "schedule" # label for a cabinet specific label.... B%num_drawers%D  etc?

To change schedule numbers drag up and down in Schedule or use icon on edit toolbar at bottom 

To change label delete what's there and put what you want or click automatic label. 

If you are reconfiguring cabinet faces it's likely better to start with a different cabinet, simpler. 

If what you're asking is something else post more complete info in the Q & A section in a new thread. 

We work with various other vendors that go straight off elevations to generate production, this requires straight Cad drawings to provide the required detail for their shops. More work for us. :-(

If you have premier and not interiors there are ways to expedite that with detail from view and an annotation set. 

Video might be a great idea but would need to be several totalling an hour. I'