X9, Windows 7 issues

Tim-Grindlay

the problem of the null pointer error message when locking the walls normal layer is still occurring, 

Sounds like a bug but it doesn't happen for me.  You should report this to our tech support team.  You will need to send them the plan you are having problems with and let them know the exact steps needed to reproduce the problem.

Hi Dermot,

thanks,   just an update to the issues I'm having...

we tried it all on another machine here at the office,  results as follows:

• editing the anno sets and being sent to Active Layer Default - still happening on both machines (as per Mark's video);
  • null pointer error when locking walls normal layer within the Active Layer Display Options - still happening on both machines, and with different plan files...  ( I see now this only happens if I select the wall first, then lock it while the layer is highlighted,  it seems fine if just locking it with nothing selected)...
  • dbx flashing when swapping from camera or section views to floor plan view  -  only happening on my machine...  I made a video of it,  but its upside down and 88MB (hence why I'm not a photographer)...   if it's isolated to my machine,  I'll see what I can do re. that...

Re. this last point,  just while I am writing this,  I see it is the edit toolbar that is flashing off and on... (I have it floating not docked......)  I just tried docking the edit toolbar,  now it doesn't seem to happening....    could someone else try ?   undock the edit toolbar,  and leave it floating somewhere on the screen, (with or without anything selected)..  and see if you have any problem switching from camera or elevation / section views to floor plan views ?,  seems to mostly happen with the window tool button,  not as bad or often when using the screen tabs...

Regarding the null pointer error, neither I nor anyone on our testing team could reproduce this problem based on your descriptions above.

You need to report this directly to our tech support team.  You will need to send them a plan you are having problems with and let them know the exact steps needed to reproduce the problem. 

The problem with the annotation sets dialog changing your active defaults should be fixed in the next update.  For now, you can avoid this problem by working through the active defaults dialog instead.

The problem with screen flashing sounds like a machine specific problem.  Could be a driver or some other system issue.  I am pretty sure tech support could help you solve this problem.

As of this morning, we still have not received any bug reports regarding the null pointer problem.  This sounds very much like a bug in the program.  Unfortunately, there is nothing else we can do about this without a plan and steps to reproduce it.  Please contact tech support so that we can get more information and look into this further.

Came here looking for some help, I have x8 working on 2 computers ...tried to install x9 Chief_Architect_Premier-19.1.0.47-Win64.msi on one....crashed computer, tried to install again ....crashed again, no errors just blue screen or black screen lock up.

Didn't want to upgrade in the middle of any projects, really glad I didn't!

Read thru the comments and tried a multitude of fixes suggested and at least now it loads, haven't tried to open a project or start a new one. Probably try tomorrow. I have to start with a project created with x8, hopefully that won't create a problem

First I uninstalled x8 and x9 with iobit unitstaller pro, rebooted.

Next I updated windows, I have win 7.

It's actually a fairly new computer, sat in the box for 2 years ....I was sick.

After the windows updates I rebooted.

Next I used iobits Driver Booster 4.2 I think. I know a lot of people don't like these types of programs, I've had pretty good luck with them. I always create a restore point before doing any changes.

I also used CCleaner Pro, did a cleaner scan and registry scan. I applied the changes.

Rebooted again.

X9 now loads, not sure how well it works ...but will find out soon :)

So bascially I did the following:

1. tried to install and open x9.... failed 2 or 3 times
2. deleted x8 & x9 using iobit uninstaller pro, used the deep scan to get rid of hiding registry and other files
3. downloaded and installed a lot of Windows Upgrades (should have done that a while agao)
4. ran ccleaner pro
5. ran iobit drive booster and downloaded and installed quite a few new drivers .....thinking this might have been the problem
6. rebooted after running each application
7. installed x9 again and it worked.

I don't know if anyone has been using Iobit apps, I've had some pretty good luck with them. They have something called Advanced System Care..... which I did not use in trying to get my x9 running. Most of their apps can be had for between 20 and 30 dollars, you can install on 3 computers, but you have to look for the deals, generally that means you can install a trial version or a slimmed down version and they will send you offers, watch for 3 for 1 deals.

Again, I know if you are a very hardward/software knowledgable .....you'll say this stuff is junk, stay away from it. All I can say is they have really helped me, especially the drivers and uninstall app. The uninstall app works much bettter than Revo Uninstaller and can't be compared to the uninstalled that comes with windows.

I'm running this on

Dell Inc. XPS 8500
Bus Clock 100megahertz
12 mg ram
1.8 gigs of free disk space
3.4 gigahertz intel core i7-3770
64 bit
4 core
hyper-thread (8 total)
AMD Radeon HD 7770 2 GB GDDR5

Just want to say, I've got 5 or so of these old beasts laying around that I use pretty much every day, the newst is a laptop with win 8. I've used the above procedure to try and fix things and every now and then .....things are worse :)

Not for the faint hearted, I'm not a software or hardware genius. Just know a few things from trying stuff out. I always try to have a current backup ... using Acronis to backup now. When I mess things up totally I will try to do a "system restore" but in more cases than not 'system restore' DOES NOT WORK!!

So, over the years....I've learned that it really doesn't help to throw the computer out the window and if the thing is 3 years old ....most of mine are 5 years or more ....its ready to die. If you have backups just do a clean install of your operating system.

Finally ...call someone before you throw the thing out the window ....maybe you can trade some plans for a new puter or getting some techie to fix your problems. There are a lot of one man bands out there that will come to your house or office and get you up and running in no time. You can't know everything ...just remember that :)

One more thing....since I'm often broke (been really sick) ....talking to the guys on the floor in a place like best buy often turns up some pretty good geeks and they are usually very affordable.

Just trying to help

Scott