ChiefLee

Roofs on Different Floors Won't Connect

Hi. I have been using X8 and now X9 for a month now working on my first plan. I am now trying to get the roofs on the 1-1/2 story house. Here is my problem.

The upstairs has 3 foot knee walls under the main t shaped gables down the center of the house. There are lower pitched shed and hip roofs around the perimeter of the house that run into the sides of the knee walls. There is one large shed roof in the back that intersects higher up on one gable plane. 

I can see and edit the shed and hip roofs from the 1st floor level plan view. I can edit and select the gable roofs from the 2nd floor level plan view. However I can not edit and select roofs that are on different floors at the same time, which I need to do in order to connect the top of the shed into the gable. 

Does anyone know why my roofs are on different floors and not editable at the same time? Thank you for any input on this. I've been working on it all weekend to no avail. 

Join the roof planes on Floor A and then move roof plane(s) up or down to Floor B and join roof planes on that floor as necessary.  Once you're done, simply move roof plane(s) back to their original floor.  

Thank You, Thank you, Thank you....  Both for answering my "newbie" question. It worked perfectly! 

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    dan_heidel
    Newest Member
    dan_heidel

• By 9atatimer
      I'm using X11 premier on a mac -- I have an exterior garage wall (with a centered garage door) and a gable end -- I'd like to split the attic wall of the gable end into 3 parts -- the central region above the garage door, and the left and right, to have a different material above the garage door.

I have Default Settings > Roof > Auto Rebuild Roof set to Off
      I have Default Settings > Framing > Automatically Build Floor and Ceiling Framing Off on all framing types.
      I have Default Settings > Walls > General Walls > Auto Rebuild Attic Walls set to Off

If I delete the roof and ceiling planes with Build > Roof > Delete [X] and then use the Build > Roof > Build Roof ... dialog to rebuild the roof and attic from scratch -- I leave the Auto Rebuild Roofs set to Off, to be clear -- and then edit the resulting gable roof on the attic layer, I can split it twice to produce the three separate wall sections, but once I change the exterior material on any of the sections, the three wall segments get replaced with a single wall again.  The new wall has my selected material, but that does me no good as I need the distinct secgments.

Anyone know what setting do I need to turn off to maintain the manually edited gable end?  Or is this a mac bug?

Or, barring that, does anyone know what approach will let me give the desired finish detail (attached a pic of a freehand elevation)?

• By blueriver
      I'm using Chief Architect Premier X11

I have all these little 'X's can someone please tell me how to get rid of them?  I've been really playing around with the roof and i THINK they are from that but at the same time i have a couple random ones outside where the roof is -- i cannot get them to go away. Help!

thanks in advance
      Lauren

• By chief69
      Hello, We are having a hard time getting  the design program to do the roof right. We have tried with Sketchup and it got the closest. It's hard to describe I have attached a few pics with a decent idea of what we are trying to do.

The Garage is a shed roof as well as the breeze way, but they are at different angles. The house is a butterfly style with the V running at a angle. WE do not care what the pitch ends up being on any of the roofs.

Anyone know how to do this. I have been trying for hours and the program goes crazy every time. Esp with the all 3 roofs at different angles with each other. I have attached a copy of the plan we made and some pics from sketchup because that program got the closest to what we are trying to do.

Thanks

Chris
      New house v1.plan

• By MN_JohnH
      I wonder why my second floor loft flooring is sticking through the roof and can be seen on the outside of the building?

• By mprovost129
      Hi all. I'm fairly new to the software and have only been using it since October. I have a client who wants a wood framed chimney extruding from the middle of the roof up from the gas fireplace. I've tried a bunch of different options to make this work but can't figure it out. Can someone please tell me how to draw walls on top of the roof?

Thank you!