AgChief

Skylight not creating shaft & hole in clg.

I've racked my brain trying to figure out why my skylight won't show a shaft to the ceiling on my first floor master bath.  After placing a successful test skylight on the second floor, it occurred to me that the roof plane I was inserting the skylight into was generated from the first floor, but to draw a proper roof plan I have to display that roof plane on the 2nd floor.  I moved the roof plane to display on the first floor and BOOM it creates the skylight shaft correctly.  Tile the plan window and the section window and you can see what Chief does when you change the display floor.

Anyone else have this problem and created a solution, or is this a bug?  I'm leaning toward bug since the skylight shows correctly on all views, just doesn't create the shaft when the only thing different is the floor on which it's displayed.

Thanks!

Skylight_problem.plan

Skylt with 1st floor roof display.jpg

Skylt with 2nd floor roof display.jpg

Well that was easy enough!  Thanks!

However, I still think this is a bug because CA should create the hole automatically, regardless which floor the roof is displayed on.  Chief should determine that the roof covers a 1st floor ceiling, therefore should create the hole.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jharmer
    Newest Member
    jharmer

• By intendo
      The red arrows point to the problem area.
      The outside wall and interior wall at the closet intersect with the valley where the two roof planes intersect.
      The interior of the room creates an attic wall (with exterior siding) above the closet (NOTE: Ceiling was removed to get image)
      The plan view shows where the roof planes intersect at the valley. I have the same problem on the other side of the house because it is symmetrical.
      The plan is too large (65MB) but here is the model (https://3d-viewer.chiefarchitect.com/go?share=543146417714334).

Any suggestion on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

• By ChiefWhataChuck
      Civil engineer asked for roof plan. Currently. I have been able to display roof plains by floor level with slope markers. However, being it is a two level home...how do I display a complete roof for a layout plan? Along with dimensions for roof rain displacement calculation?
    • By JamesKCI
      Hey all,

Sorry for the slight tongue-twister of a title. I'm here with another novice question.

When creating roof plans to send to layout, I'm running into an issue. After I choose to display all of my roof planes on the same level, they appear as though the program is deliberately displaying the lower roof planes on top of those that should be above. I've attached a couple snips showing an example of how one of my roof plans is drafted and another two with what that plan looks like in plan view. It's in the roof plan view but it looks the same regardless of the layer set I use.

Much Obliged

• By mborean
      A lot of my work involves trussed roofs.  After building the trusses, I frame the roof for the facia and varge rafters.  Problem with this is that CA adds ridge boards that don't exist in trussed roofs.  There doesn't seem to be a way to frame without ridge boards or to set the ridge board dimensions at 0.  If there is a work around, I'd love to hear it.

Also....  Is there a way to frame a roof where one roof California or over frames over another roof.  In my previous CAD, I could trim the bottom of one roof to the top of another and the framing acted accordingly.  This program even added a valley plate on top of the lower roof and below the rafters of the upper roof.  That may be too much to ask for, but one can only  hope.

Love to hear what y'all have to say.

Thanks in advance.