KristjanM
Members-
Posts
105 -
Joined
-
Last visited
Content Type
Profiles
Forums
Gallery
Everything posted by KristjanM
-
If the general framing member trick doesn't work for you, this is what I have done. Make 4 textures - 1) oriented horizontal, 2) oriented vertical, 3) oriented at 45 deg, 4) oriented at -45 deg. Apply appropriately to each part of the brace. A little bit of effort but it works.
-
2x4 Framed Exterior Walls and Energy Code Compliance
KristjanM replied to GeneDavis's topic in Building Codes and Compliance
Back in 1974 when I started as a carpenter, we used 2x4's. At some point the building code changed and we went to 2x6's. It was only to accommodate R20 batts in the walls due to the change in insulation requirements. We could also go to 24" oc for the 2x6's as 16" oc wasn't needed for any structural reason. 2x4's are entirely okay. The only thing you have to satisfy is the insulation requirements. -
Can you not use "Edit Wall Layer Intersections" ?
-
Different energy evaluations require different square footages. Passive house would deduct the interior partition area from the ceiling area. If I'm using Hot 2000 (I'm in Canada), the wall partitions are not deducted. Maybe Chief should allow for options with the calculations.
-
In Autocad, you use colors to represent line width. Makes sense when you're doing it.
-
Thank you. I will investigate this.
-
Eric, any suggestions?
-
I'm scaling it to make it 1:1 since I exported from layout. I chose to export from layout because the views are cropped to what I want to show. Quite often I have things outside the layout crop which I can't turn off using layer sets. I'm quite familiar with Autocad so understand what the engineer needs. This seemed to be the easiest method for me. Some people like apples, some like oranges.
-
Decimal feet preferably.
-
I am using %perimeter% in a schedule. I would like the units to be in feet if possible.
-
I have some polyline areas which I want to schedule information for. The area is in sqft, the perimeter is in inches. Is there any way to display the perimeter in feet? i am not finding any location to adjust this.
-
Thanks for the comments. No magic method here. Too bad all the engineers I work with use Autocad.
-
Just had to send my first copies of my drawings to the structural engineer in dwg format. The least onerous way I could see to do this was export each drawing sheet from layout but then I had to open each dwg file and scale them up by a factor of 48. The other option was to play with my plan views and export from there but this seemed to be more work. I regularly have to provide dwg files. How do other people handle this. Chief doesn't seem very freindly with regard to this task.
-
An Ingenious method. That's one of the things I like about Chief...opportunities for creativity.
-
Thanks to all for the comments. I will try them out. Also fixed my cursor.
-
There may be a better way but here's my workaround.
-
I have a pilaster with a pad footing . When I connect an adjacent wall, the pilaster footing is cut back. Is the any way to have the pilaster footing take precedence over the wall footing?
-
This has been sent to the development team for a fix.
-
Submitted a report.
-
Yes, I have read those posts. I just read them again and now that I've experienced the problem, get what they are talking about. Definitely something which should be fixed. Thanks for the pointer.
-
I has this problem in the last file I worked on. New project this morning - The first entry in the Note Schedule doesn't show the carriage return. If I open the dialog to edit this entry, the carriage return is displayed correctly. I've tried moving the entries around in the schedule, tried re-typng the entry, but nothing works to correct this. My last project had about 3 entries of 30 total display this behaviour. This project has 1 misbehaving entry of 19 notes. A bug or ?.
-
Notched (unwanted) Rafters in X14 Still- WHY?
KristjanM replied to Archnot-Boltz's topic in General Q & A
Years ago, I looked at this program. Not as good as Chief for the presentation and drawings but they seem to have the framing nailed down. https://digitalcanal.com/products/framing-pro/ -
Notched (unwanted) Rafters in X14 Still- WHY?
KristjanM replied to Archnot-Boltz's topic in General Q & A
"my co-worker at a large remodeling and roofing firm is "demoing" Softplan at $95 per month because of it's better material's list and various construction oriented and design features." Softplan has it's own issues believe me. I've come to Chief and aren't looking back. Having been through Autocad, Archicad, Vectorworks, Softplan and now Chief, my personal opinion is that Chief has the best combination of automation, flexibility and price. Just an opinion. -
Yes, that is a good suggestion.
