Cross gable roof

Askod1

Go to solution Solved by Ridge_Runner,

Can anyone help me figure out how to make a cross gable roof with overhangs over odd shaped bump outs? I have tried floating dormers and regular dormers with no success. I have tried manually building a dormer using walls and manual roof planes but can't seem to figure out how to cut through the roof. Any help would be appreciated as this house is killing me.

1017 Main St.plan

post-5875-0-01947700-1440700154_thumb.jpg

post-5875-0-18187000-1440700166_thumb.jpg

post-5875-0-45780400-1440700184_thumb.jpg

post-5875-0-83426100-1440700194_thumb.jpg

post-5875-0-01546500-1440700216_thumb.jpg

post-5875-0-64747200-1440700231_thumb.jpg

Askod1 (don't know your name), I downloaded your plan to take a look. In looking at the pics, it appears there is a second, shallow, pitch at the eave of the roof sections; is that correct? Can't tell for sure from the pictures, but it appears it is there and would make a difference in the "look." What version are you using? Is this plan going to be an "as-built" or a new house with this design? Your floor system is using I-joists so I assumed it to be new construction.

Mike

Mike, 

The roof does contain Box gutters which is where the shallow pitch comes into play. This is an existing Victorian home that we a currently restoring. I am using X7. All of the construction documents have been drawn in Powercad. We use chief for visual purposes only. The client wants to see some different color options on the elevation. I was just drawing this with mostly defaults. just to get a quick visual but that seems to have backfired, epically.

Greg

Greg, I don't know where you were going to use dormers, but I have added a couple of roof sections just to see how they would look. I would do them manually (as I do many of my roofs) since this roofline will probably not change. That should be able to get the roofs on close enough for a visual trial of different colors, materials, etc. I did note that the manual roof planes drew too low when drawn over the top of the walls. I had to raise them up several inches for them to look right. Will look a little further as time allows.

Mike

• Solution

Greg, I added manual roof planes to your 2nd floor. The roofs will cut the walls back on the third floor under the gables. I had to manually drag the attic walls over to fill the gaps left at the outside corners of the gable walls. You have several things going in this plan. Some of your exterior walls don't line up. The ceiling heights seem to be off. There doesn't appear to be enough room to add all of the cornice trim and corbels as shown in the pics. I had to raise the roof planes several inches just to get them where there are now. I believe you will have to raise them even more if you are going to add those cornice details. I didn't bother with any porch roofs, frieze boards, gable trim, etc. - you can add those. Also, I couldn't tell what was going on with the right side. The pics seem to indicate a small gable roof section over there - maybe over the balcony. Anyway, I "faked" a small gable section over it - may not be right, but you can adjust it if you wish. Also, I didn't mess with the box gutters you referred to; those could be added also.

Hope this helps, MikeAskod1-1017 Main St-modified.plan

• Upvote 1

After I went home last night, I thought more about this roof and, you were right Mike. I can't believe i didn't think of that before. It was a somewhat simple fix. Now the only trouble I'm having is, where in the world am I going to find all of these detailed cornice materials? LOL

Thanks for your help. I'd be lying if i said I wasn't a little embarrassed for even thinking I needed to ask the original question. I think i was just making it harder than it needed to be.

You are welcome, Greg. Don't get overwhelmed by the "detail" of the cornice work. It may seem daunting but can be done entirely in CA. But first, you "must" get your ceiling heights and rooflines at the roughly the same height as the real-world house or you will quickly run into problems. There are corbels (brackets some call them) in the Libraries - I find just getting one close will usually suffice for visuals; most clients would never notice. 3D Warehouse has some. I have even made them out of CAD profiles turned into polyline solids, which I then added to my User library. You can go into the roof DBx's and add frieze boards (multiple layers) as well as gable trim - check CA's videos and manual as well as doing a search on this forum for how to do these. 3D molding polylines would work for some of the details. You may have to draw your own CAD profiles, but it is not difficult :) and you can get as detailed as you want with stacked molding profiles. I would start like you would build it. Add the first elements next to the wall, then then the next "layer," and so forth. Soffits "might" work for the boxed gutters, but they are sometimes difficult to control - mine always want to move where I don't want them to. Polyline solids or molding polylines are usually my go-to tool under the eaves.

Mike