Plan Thumbnails not working

kvelde

I can't generate plan thumbnails automatically or manually on X6.  It looks like it stopped working around November of 2013 and I can't remember if that is when X6 came out.

I use this feature to drive my screensavers that show off my work.  I know pretty vain,  but my customers are impressed and sometimes it sparks an idea  for themselves.  Other people complain about these jpg's messing up their folders but I use "group by type" and "sort by date" and I have no problem finding my files.

I tried every combination of settings in "preferences" "file management" and manually generating from "File" "Save thumbnail image"

Can anyone help me? Thanks in advance

Ken Vander Velde

Hi kvelde,

In X6 Save as Thumbnail no longer generates a separate image file.  Instead it embeds an image in the plan which is used to display file previews in Windows Explorer and file dialogs.

If you want to generate images for use in a screensaver you might try using Export Picture (File -> Export -> Export Picture).

Hope this helps.

Oh that's too bad. I set this up several years ago.  And everything was done automatically.  Every hour or so all *_l.jpg  and *_p.jpg files were sent to a dropbox folder which all of my computers used as a moving montage of pictures in a screensaver.  No intervention on my part. And top of it I just checked and the file previews are not displayed on my explorer windows.  What are the chances of getting the original functionality back?  I have the feeling I'll be a lonely voice in this regard.  :-)

Ken Vander Velde

On a side note is there anyway to automatically execute a ruby script on "save"

Oh and thanks for your prompt reply on a Sunday

Ken Vander Velde

Nope --- ruby scripts are tied to objects and update/execute with them. or a screen update. if you update the screen before saving they should all update. 

Any newly created ruby script will, however, save on a file save. If you exit without saving the file , the new script created will be lost.